What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommended tool kit for RV-12?

Hi all, I am planning to start my RV-12 build in January and am now looking at tools. What has been your experience with the Avery and/or Cleaveland RV-12 tool kits? Would you recommend one over the other? Thanks.

RV-12 tools

Hi Brendan,
Recommend you browse the Tools Forum as well as this RV-12 forum. The major tool houses all have gotten good reviews. Only major difference might be the type of manual rivet squeezer they sell.
Good Luck!

You can save a lot by checking at Harbor Freight for the tools not specific to aircraft. The pneumatic rivet puller is a good example. Some folks trash HF for poor quality, but after 4 home builts and 26 years of building the only tool that broke was one box end wrench that had a manufacturing flaw.

I have also noted that the price for a given tool can vary widely among the suppliers, so definitely compare prices with WAG, CPS, Spruce, Lockwood, ATS, etc.

RV12 tools

Currently building a 12. Gathered an inventory list from the "kits" for sale. Located similar or better tools for less in many cases by shopping around. Ultimately saved a couple hundred dollars. No replacements required so far.

Hi all, I am planning to start my RV-12 build in January and am now looking at tools. What has been your experience with the Avery and/or Cleaveland RV-12 tool kits? Would you recommend one over the other? Thanks.

Here is a link to a spreadsheet I put together for a buddy. It's a couple of years old, but should help you get started. I like Avery. Bob stands behind every tool he sells, if you have a problem. Cleaveland is ALSO good.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28599072/ToolList.xls

Others can chime in, with things I missed.

Last edited:
Marty!

Don't give away the secret! Now my wife will wonder why I HAD to have all those other tools! :D

Rich

The Harbor Freight pneumatic pop rivet puller worked fine for me. I did have to take it apart half way through the build and clean out the metal debris out and change the oil. More is not better for the oil level.
The bandsaw does not need to have a metal cutting blade. Even though aluminum is metal, a wood cutting blade will cut it just fine. In fact some tech councilors recommend a wood cutting blade because the coarser blade teeth will not clog up as easily.
EAA Hints for Homebuilders - Bandsaw 1
EAA Hints for Homebuilders - Bandsaw 2
Van's sells a Scotchbrite Wheel. Some people recommend installing the wheel in a drill press, although I used mine in a bench grinder.
Joe Gores

I found the wood blade that came with my Skill band saw wanted to rip the thin aluminum. I use a fine tooth metal blade and it works fine - just don't try to cut steel with it. I also put a couple of scotchbrite wheels on a polishing motor I bought at Harbor Freight. The motor has a small body and give a little more room to work around the wheels. Once you get use to feeding the wheels it makes for fast work.

tool kit

If I didn't already have most of the tools I need I would buy what Dave12 is selling, you are saving enough to upgrade to a pneumatic squeezer.

Back