What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick 4300 Series Mags

bryannortje

Well Known Member
I have 655 hrs on a set of these mags and apart from the annual mag timing checks they have had no removal for servicing / maintenance.

Engine runs perfectly with no issues in any phase of flight. Starts great hot or cold and mag drops are spot on.

What is the thought from the experienced guys on service / maintenance. I have noted that Champion recommend a 500 hrs inspection service.

I'm based in NC and want to have them checked out. Any suggestions / recommendations ?

Thanks
Bryan

I just went through the same decision process at 500 hours. Sent my Mags to Aircraft Magneto Service in Missoula Montana. Cost for the two Mags came to $1074. Had to replace the most expensive part, the coil, in one mag. There was no indication of a problem befor the 500 hour inspection but seems to be the general consensus to have the inspection as recommended by the manufacturer.
There was a period of time around 2006 that unison owned the company and sold some with a bad pointer. Mine was found to be loose and had to be replaced.

The way to get good reliable service from 4300 series magnetos is by having the recommended 500 inspections done.

This can be by you (if you fully understand what all of the details are that are spelled out in the inspection document) or someone else with experience working on 4300 magnetos (probably better choice for the majority)

Service

Thanks Guys - will have a look see which company to send them too and typical turnaround time.

Cheers
Bryan

Do it.

These are not a good run til they drop items.

500 hours is appropriate. You should ask the shop who does the work what the internal timing is before they pull them apart, just to see what drift from spec you have.

Might be a good idea to stagger the mag rebuilds by 50 or 100 hrs if you can. We had someone on our field that did them both at the same time in the same shop. He went flying, about a 2 hour flight out and all was ok. On the return flight first one mag failed then shortly after the second mag failed...put it down in a field. Upon inspection it was found that defective parts from the same run went into both when they were rebuilt. Our AME always recommends the rebuilds be staggered whenever possible. FWIW.
Al

Back