What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sump cable Bracket IO-540

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I need to deviate from the 10 FFW plans given my forward facing fuel servo setup. The challenge is I have about 8 inches of space on the throttle and a good 12 inches or so on the mixture between the cable fitting and bearing ends. This would require a fairly non-standard cable or some funky ends on ends type thing.

Shown in the picture is the distance between the standard Vans bracket and where the mixture is. I would like to use that bolt hole on the bottom of the sump to secure something closer to the servo allowing me to use a standard cable set up.

I think the easiest would be to just bolt a bracket there shaped like a flat L with one of the ends pulled down as a 'tab'. The tab would have the 7/16th hole drilled to accommodate the bulkhead fitting of the control cable. Has anyone done something similar or see any dangers or risks involved with this?

Last edited:
I installed an IO-540 V4A5 in my -10 that had a forward facing fuel servo kind of similar to yours. I fabricated a custom bracket for the control cables out of .063 4130 steel. I have the equipment to be able to do that though so YMMV. I sandwiched it between the servo and sump, measured for control cables and ordered them from AS&S. They had them made up and sent them to me in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
I assume this picture is similar to what you're referring to.

160y5oi.jpg

Looks awesome but I would be a bit challenged to might be a bit challenged to make something like that. I've tried hand bending steel with my little wood brake without much success.

Back