What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 taildragger

M Wreford

I'm pretty keen on this new one,although I have to get my 6 finished first, thing is I haven't seen a pic of a taildragger 14, not even a drawing, it would be a shame if they decided against it, any one got info on it?.
Matty

I have seen nothing to indicate Van's is thinking about NOT offering a tailwheel version. They said they will offer one and even have a spot for the RV-14 drawings to the left of the existing RV-14A drawings on their website. All that should be ready for you when you're done with your 6, but I'm certainly not a spokesperson for Van's.

There WILL be a taildragger RV14 option. I believe the beta tester is doing the prototype of it now.

If they don't follow through, I'll be selling my wings.

I've been lurking VAF trying to get on a deal maybe for a RV8, but after recent look-see's and gut wrenching soul searching, I'm having dreams of building my own. The buying experience just isn't cutting it.... :(

I look forward to seeing a 14/A finished and get an up close and personal look, and especially an RV14 conventional gear. I'll bet it's going to look like a super sized RV7.

Taildragger

After much thought, I changed my order last week from a trigear to a taildragger. The tail kit ships on 10/28. I'm curious as to how may of you are going taildragger vs. tri-gear. My guess is there will be far more tri-gear 14s than taildraggers.

Ease of entry/exit?

Luckily I will be starting with the wing kit so there should be a completed RV-14 by the time I have to make a decision with the tail kit. Besides visual appeal I also want to consider ease of entry/exit. One reason I chose the RV-14 is that many of my flying partners are getting less agile as they age (I guess I am too). I found the RV-14A much easier to get into than the RV-7, and once on the wing my wife had little trouble getting into the RV-14A (once she gets over the "horror" of putting a footprint on the seat cushion she will have no problem).

I can see where the step up to the wing could be difficult for shorter persons, maybe the taildragger will make that part easier? I am also wondering if the angle of the taildragger will have an impact when settling down into the seat and getting out of it?

Plan for either

I ordered my -14 emp/tailcone as a tail dragger. I may start with it as a tri-gear until I get comfortable in it and then convert it to a tail wheel later. But I wanted to build in the tail wheel receptacle now so it's ready for later.

I ordered my -14 emp/tailcone as a tail dragger. I may start with it as a tri-gear until I get comfortable in it and then convert it to a tail wheel later. But I wanted to build in the tail wheel receptacle now so it's ready for later.

I did not know you can convert from a tail dragger to tri-gear once you started building one or the other. So I guess the main gear are in exactly the same position for a tail dragger and also the tri-gear planes?

I did not know you can convert from a tail dragger to tri-gear once you started building one or the other. So I guess the main gear are in exactly the same position for a tail dragger and also the tri-gear planes?

No.

Wings are the same
Aft fuselage (tail cone) is slightly different.
Fwd fuselage is slightly different.

RV 14

I'm pretty keen on this new one,although I have to get my 6 finished first, thing is I haven't seen a pic of a taildragger 14, not even a drawing, it would be a shame if they decided against it, any one got info on it?.
Matty

Have to get permission from the War Office first Matt..!

Photoshop please (pic of 14)

Would somebody puhleeeese make a photoshop photo of an RV-14 that just happens to be a taildragger, in flight on on the ground or anything to quench our collective imaginations please? I may or may not be able to do that where I'm at, certainly not on work hours :( IE- take a finished in flight photo and work some magic....
giggity....

Last edited:
Would somebody puhleeeese make a photoshop photo of an RV-14 that just happens to be a taildragger, in flight on on the ground or anything to quench our collective imaginations please? I may or may not be able to do that where I'm at, certainly not on work hours :(
giggity....

It's not a 3D view but there is a 3 view drawing on page 01-03 in THIS document.

Would somebody puhleeeese make a photoshop photo of an RV-14 that just happens to be a taildragger, in flight on on the ground or anything to quench our collective imaginations please? I may or may not be able to do that where I'm at, certainly not on work hours :( IE- take a finished in flight photo and work some magic....
giggity....

This was in the vans super secret stash of photos :D

w8q5nl.png

Just a teaser.
RV-14TD_zps238a441c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just some quick work. If I had a good side view of the 14, it could be much better. The outline of the 14 fits very well over the 9 and makes it pretty easy to just layer it over the gear. The 14 as a TD looks pretty sharp.

Last edited:
Nice work! Good to see what it might look like!
If I hadn't seen that same plan (+1 gear leg) at Copper Canyon I might have bought it!
:D

Couldn't wait for someone to finish up a 14 so decided to have one of my designers photoshop it :D Not happy with the main gear placement but I think its close enough for now. If anyone wants another angle, let me know.

JJzieRql.jpg

SeOSqipl.jpg

PRv70DKl.jpg

Back