What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A Empennage Cone Kit

Ordered Empennage kit two weeks ago and it arrived in Perth Western Australia a couple of days ago. Opened kit today well packed and happy to find all parts accounted for.Very impressed and surprised to find the cone included (ie 1/3 of fuselage) Only disapointment was trying to get the gaffa tape off the packed parts which ended up pulling the blue plastic off the aluminium.
Well I have the workshop set up and I'm one happy Aussie RV14A builder ready to start. Anybody out there from Perth WA building a RV14A

Hi Mike...thank you kindly and I really enjoy reading everybodies comments there in the USA.

Not aware of any Aussie RV14 builders here in the West yet but that will happen soon I'm sure.

I'm still trying to work out all the settings to respond and send messages on VAF Forums so pardon me if I goof up with messages.

Another WA Builder

Hi Greg you are not alone in WA. I am in Byford and have the RV14 wing kit but have not started on the kit yet. Finished to training kits and still practicing my riveting. Have to bite the bullet very soon and stop procrastinating. I know of another RV 14 Builder in Bunbury. Happy to make contact if you wish.

Another aussie RV14 builder

Hi Greg & Tony. Not in the west, but at least on the same continent. I am in Adelaide and began building my wings in March this year. Started with flaps & ailerons, have the top skin on the LHS wing, outer leading edges done and am currently prepping bits for the fuel tanks.
I have been reading these forums for a while, but never got around to contributing, so thought it about time I made myself known.

Tony and Ian, I'll beat Mike to it . Welcome to VAF, the next best thing to factory support.

Hi Greg & Tony. Not in the west, but at least on the same continent. I am in Adelaide and began building my wings in March this year. Started with flaps & ailerons, have the top skin on the LHS wing, outer leading edges done and am currently prepping bits for the fuel tanks.
I have been reading these forums for a while, but never got around to contributing, so thought it about time I made myself known.

Hi Ian I am flying to Adelaide this Friday for the weekend and will be back there again early in January for about four,days,visiting family. Any chance of seeing what you have done?

Hi Ian I am flying to Adelaide this Friday for the weekend and will be back there again early in January for about four,days,visiting family. Any chance of seeing what you have done?

Greg,

Certainly happy for you to have a look. Check your private messages, I have forwarded you my contact details.

Regards,

Ian

More Aussie RVs

Hi Greg, Tony and Ian. My name is Richard, and I'm about to purchase the emp kit for an RV14A. I'm based in Sydney. Looking forward to following along with your progress!!

Cheers,

Richard W

AussieRVator

Hi Greg you are not alone in WA. I am in Byford and have the RV14 wing kit but have not started on the kit yet. Finished to training kits and still practicing my riveting. Have to bite the bullet very soon and stop procrastinating. I know of another RV 14 Builder in Bunbury. Happy to make contact if you wish.

Hi Tony
Sorry for delay in responding. Been very busy at work and have not done too much on the RV14A tail cone. So far we have built the Vertical Stabiliser (clecoed and some riveting). We did some practice rivets and then bit the bullet and did the real ones which were perfect.
Dont be afraid to start just do your homework first and get straight into it....its like eating an Elephant one bit at a time.
Love to catch up sometime after the New Year.
I'm in Parkwood opposite the Whaleback Golf Course (near Willeton) and my mobile is 0407 983 798 when you are ready to contact us.
Regards Greg

Last edited:
AussieRVator

Hi Ian

Good to hear from another person with great taste ie RV14.
Keep in touch as we will be ordering the wings early next year.
I will also try to catch up with Tony too as he lives near me and we all can share plans corrections photos etc.Currently we are constructing a web site and we will share it with all down the track.
Happy building.
Regards

Progress on Emp

Hi All
David here, co-working with Greg on our RV-14 Empennage kit here in Perth Western Australia.
We have made a good start and have primed, cleco'd and riveted the vertical Stabiliser.
And prepared the rudder for a prime, next a final Cleco and then riveting of the rudder. Note its a big rudder :D

Anyone have any tips for using the 3M tape on the rudder trailing edge?its proving?finicky as I try to remove the backing, don't want to use the whole roll figuring it out.

Paul

Using tape

The way I remove the backing from the tape is to use a sharp item like an ice pick to help peel the tape off the backing which helps to keep the tape on the aluminum.

I'm just postulating here but I wonder if that is one of the reasons the stuff has a shelf life. It seemed like mine separated from the backing easier when I didn the flaps than when I did the ailerons a couple of months later... but who knows...

but bottom line is: Razor blade and patience.

I used the tape only on the vertical trim tab and ditched it for proseal for all other surfaces. I found that the TE would have small voids where the tape unstuck. Proseal cures and bonds the skins before riveting.

I used the tape only on the vertical trim tab and ditched it for proseal for all other surfaces. I found that the TE would have small voids where the tape unstuck. Proseal cures and bonds the skins before riveting.

Just a point of reference, The VHB tape (or proseal) is not a structural element of the control surfaces (it could be left off altogether and not cause a structural issue). It is primarily to help builders get a straight trailing edge. Small un-bonded areas are not a problem.

Back