What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cell Phone Adapter

Rick6a

Well Known Member
If you've ever had your cell phone ring while inflight, you know how next to useless it is hear the caller with any measure of clarity. One of my more technically inclined friends familiar with such things told me there is a gadget to address that.... a cell phone adapter. Little did I know that such a thing even existed.

Here is a link to Spruce's cell phone adapters and I'd like an informed opinion from those who are experienced with such devices.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/headsets_accessories.html

What is the best route for me to go? Should I get a standard or amplified or battery powered one? I don't know if this matters or not but my RV is equipped with an audio panel.

I seek comparative information only, please...no comments on the legality or illegality of inflight cell phone use.

Rick,
My Lightspeeds actually have a cell phone jack. Often I'll make a call from the run-up area (like when I'm flying to Mom's in Waco) with, "I'm taking off in 2 minutes and will overfly the house in about 34 minutes."

3G-volume.jpg
photo courtsey www.anrheadsets.com

Personally, I think it's worth having. It makes coordinating being picked up at your destination really easy.

B,
D

Ditto on the Lightspeeds!

I have a Treo Smartphone and pipe in music via the MP3 player all the time!

If the phone rings, I can either elect or decline to answer it and resume the music.

Really impressive sound quality too!

;) CJ

Cell Adapter

Rick,

Sporty's now sells one that will adapt to music and a cell phone. PS Engineering sells "The Muse". I know the muse does music. Not sure if it does cell phone also. Sporty's is 99.00 also, and does more. If you are just hooking into the input jack it should not matter that you have an audio panel.

Last edited:
I also have used it with my lightspeed headset.

BUT

1. you must slow down below 125mph to keep a connection
2. doesn't work above 5000agl
3. flying and talking on the phone ... i'm ALL over the place / high / low / turning ... Just takes alot to talk and fly.

I just purchased one of these off ebay for less than $50....

http://tinyurl.com/m7sse

The Seller has lots of Auctions, this is just one of them.

It seems to work great with the QuietTech AuriComm In-Ear headset and both a cell phone and a cordless home telephone. I haven't tried a call from the plane yet.

5b_1.JPG

--Michael

Cell phone adapter warning

Not all cell phones will work on the adapter. I have a newer SAMSUNG cell phone and it uses what looks like a universal 2.5 mm plug. It is a 4 conductor plug and not the 3 conductor plug that the universal uses. It will not work with the universal input on the LIGHTSPEED Thirty 3G headset.

Lightspeed pointed me to several adapters. I purchased all the adapters that they pointed me two plus all the other ones I could find on the internet and even tried making my own. The Samsung X-497 would not work with any of the adapters and the built in Lightspeed cell phone adapter for the headset.

If your cell phone has a standard universal 2.5 or 3.5 plug and works with a universal cell phone hands free headset, then it more than likely will work with the headset adapters.

Yes I spend enough money on trying to find an adapter that would work that I could have purchased a new cell phone. If you have the same cell phone and know of an adapter that WILL work, please let me know.

Modify

Hi Rick
My Pilot headsets needed refurbing so I sent them to California and the factory modified them to include a cell phone jack. I found out that much above 2000' AGL, the 'angle' of your transmission relative to the towers pretty much renders them unusable since they are directionally oriented to 'look' at each other.

lightspeeds

my light speed have this got it to work twice. but i fly in the sticks alot. it does however play the ipod well and mutes it when i talk or someone else transmits to me..never new how nice a tune was while flying up the river... litterally

cell phone adaptor - alternative

When I was using my RV for business, I really needed to be able to answer my cell phone when flying. I looked at the adaptors and thought them quite expensive. I was going to purchase one when it was suggested that you don't need one at all.
It works like this - simply take the el-cheapo hands-free kit, place one of the ear pieces in your ear, put on your aviation headset, then place the phone microphone under the earcup opposite - jiggle around till comfortable.
When the phone rings (works great with one that vibrates) simply answer as normal or wait till the auto answer kicks in. The trick is - you use the PTT switch or if you have a voice-activated intercom, just talk - and you are away. My friends cannot believe that I am on the phone and flying - it is that clear !

Cheers

Martin in Oz

RV6_flyer said:
Not all cell phones will work on the adapter. I have a newer SAMSUNG cell phone and it uses what looks like a universal 2.5 mm plug. It is a 4 conductor plug and not the 3 conductor plug that the universal uses. It will not work with the universal input on the LIGHTSPEED Thirty 3G headset.

Yes I spend enough money on trying to find an adapter that would work that I could have purchased a new cell phone. If you have the same cell phone and know of an adapter that WILL work, please let me know.

I use the same samsung phone and found this adapter to convert to regular headsets.

pmercier said:
I use the same samsung phone and found this adapter to convert to regular headsets.
Philip:

THANKS! My adapter arrived and I tested it in the air on the way to Van's Homecoming. It worked great. After trying several others that did not work, I had given up hope. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

I recall seeing on tv that cell phone use while airborne is illegal according to some FCC reg. I think the idea is that it somehow screws up ground based cell phone networks by hitting too many cell towers at once. Forgive my complete ignorance of how they work, but I do recall it being illegal. Maybe somebody can shed some light.

Back