What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Savannah GA.

rv4bill

Well Known Member
Fellow Travelers.

The Mrs. and I are flying to Savannah Tomorrow for the weekend. Anyone know which airport is best to fly into. We are staying downtown. Would like to be able to keep Rocket hangered in case of an afternoon boomer. Any help would be appreciated.

SAV

Just fly into KSAV. Two FBOs there, check airnav. No big deal at sav not a lot of commercial traffic.

Fellow Travelers.

The Mrs. and I are flying to Savannah Tomorrow for the weekend. Anyone know which airport is best to fly into. We are staying downtown. Would like to be able to keep Rocket hangered in case of an afternoon boomer. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a daughter in school in savannah, and have visited multiple times a year for the last three years.

Sheltair at KSAV is simply one of the best FBOs I have ever used, although their fuel isn't cheap. The staff couldn't be any more helpful, and they've treated me well whether I showed up in an RV, a Cirrus, or a TBM.

The linemen formed a "bucket brigade" to load all the stuff from my daughter's dorm room from the courtesy car (a Toyota minivan) into the TBM. lots of heavy lifting with smiles and a cheerful attitude.

The 8th airforce museum is a couple miles west of the airport, in the opposite direction from downtown, but absolutely worth the visit.

Tell them that TBM N700FP said "hi" and recommended them highly...

Gas price

Years ago when we spent the weekend there, the FBO required a fuel purchase.
They neglected to mention the $1 per gallon weekend discount. Filled me up on Friday, told me about it Sunday morning. :mad:

Signature does not want to deal with the small guys and it shows in their attitude, service and prices. Sheltair is much better, but I doubt you will get hangar space on the field. If you wanted to drive about 25 min you could go to KLHW. The fuel is cheap and the line guys will put it in a hangar for the weekend if you request it.

Can't offer fly in advice - but enjoy Savannah. Beautiful place, and I highly recommend The Old Pink House if you're up for a high class dinner. Neat bar in the basement too.

If you go to the Bohemian Hotel on the riverwalk, check out the roof top bar/restaurant. BTW the beautiful lead bartender named Diana is my baby daughter. :cool:

KSAV

I have flown into Savannah International in my lowly Skyhawk and was treated like royalty. Very nice folks.

While in Savannah, be sure to stay downtown or on the river, park the car and walk everywhere. It is truly a beautiful city.

Sheltair Accomodated the RV-1 Tour

Fellow Travelers.

I have been to both FBO's there multiple times.
Nice people at both.

SheltAir though is the one that put up the RV-1 and provided room for RV-1 talk when it was on tour through Georgia.

They **might** be able to tuck you in the big hangar (for a fee) if they still operate as they did when I was there before.

Again, NICE people and a nice place.

James

Thanks for all the tips. We will try to get a reservation at the pink house and then head to the Bohemian bar.

We are going to rent bikes and act like tourists!

Rent from the local bike store if you can. The public transit bike system is always broken and generally a pain in the ***. I'm all for bikes as public transit but this project must have had some free federal money involved or something because its horrible.

Back