What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 496 to 296 relating to Dynon 100

Jetj01

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if a Garmin 296 will 'talk' to the Dynon D100? I removed my Garmin 496 to use in another aircraft and replaced with a Garmin 296. Now the HSI function with associated information on the D100 is simply a blank compass rose. Does the 496 have more 'feed' information to the D100. Or did I not connect correctly and it's supposed to be there? Or....do I need to buy another 496??? 396??? The split screen with the attitude indicator and HSI is my flying screen of choice since I don't have a fancy Skyview...yet.

Any info will be appreciated!

It will

Yes, it will! You have to have the 296 data out wire hooked up to the Dynon data in wire, which I'm sure you do, if you used the same mount. Then you have to have the correct communication info set correctly in the 296. I don't have it in front of me right now. Go into the settings and look for it. Hope this helps.

Hi JJ,

Go into the advanced nmea settings on the 296 and make sure that it is set to "Normal" instead of "Fast". The fast setting doesnt output enough NMEA sentences for Dynon.

I had the same problem going from 196 to 396. Except it was the HS on a DEK180. For me the Garmin data cable had to be replaced due to difference in pin out and also need to recheck the communication settings on your 296.

Hi JJ,

Go into the advanced nmea settings on the 296 and make sure that it is set to "Normal" instead of "Fast". The fast setting doesnt output enough NMEA sentences for Dynon.

JJ, remember we had to do this setting on the 496 too when it was first powered up with the D100 in your RV-4.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone! as soon as I got the first reply I remembered Neal needing to do this when my RV-4 was first powered up connecting the 496 to the D100. a
And Neal, I would have called you but it was 4 AM this morning when I was working on it:D Freight dog hours!

Thanks VAF!!!

Back