What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pal Nuts on Rod End Bearings

rv8gibbo

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,
I'm thinking of using Pal Nuts on all my Pushrod assembly's to help lock the nut on the rod end bearings in place! Does anyone else use them??? Thoughts please!

Pal Nuts

I'm surprised nobody has responded, so I'll chime in.

A pal nut against a lock nut would certainly be a belt and suspenders approach. I like to think outside the box but frankly this seems like a overly redundant redundant idea to me. I think you would be better off putting your effort towards making certain you have correct thread engagement and keeping your lock nuts tight. If you do those things, there really isn't any purpose in the use of the pal nut.

I know pal nuts were pretty common years ago on the small Continentals but I don't think most overhaulers use them today. Not much of a nut really.

Last edited:
A drop of the correct Loctite might be an easier backup method.

I had the same thought. My concern was for thread wear (from vibrations?) inside the tube adapter. Using locktight inside the tube without getting any on the jamb nut. That would maintain accurate torque specs. Of coarse only after rigging is verified.

Back