What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torx screw Tinnerman washer

ndotreppe

Hi, I am flying with my RV7 and it will go to paint shop this autumn. After painting I would like to replace the screws that will be removed periodically for maintenance (wing tip,...) with Torx screws and Tinnerman washers. I need 8-32 size and 6-32 size. Any suggestions on who sell this in the US? I find on aircraft Spruce the G-8 Tinnerman washers but not the 6 and not the Torx screws, thank you for your help, Nicolas

Hi, I am flying with my RV7 and it will go to paint shop this autumn. After painting I would like to replace the screws that will be removed periodically for maintenance (wing tip,...) with Torx screws and Tinnerman washers. I need 8-32 size and 6-32 size. Any suggestions on who sell this in the US? I find on aircraft Spruce the G-8 Tinnerman washers but not the 6 and not the Torx screws, thank you for your help, Nicolas

I think it was called micro fasteners. They aren?t listed as Torx, I guess that is a brand. By memory ( best I can do tonight) called 6 lobe fasteners. PM me if you can?t find them.

6-lobe fastener is perfect name and micro fasteners is perfect address, thanks.
Any suggestion for the washers? I find the G8 Tinnerman washers on aircraft Spruce but not the 6

I have used flush washers where screws are often removed for inspection. They are like tinnerman washers but much less obtrusive.

https://www.amazon.com/Flush-Finish...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=06ADXYCY24FMSKS3X7K9

A trick Carl Bell showed me was to take a flat #6 stainless washer and dimple it for a #8 screw and a #4 washer for a #6 screw. Makes a nice fit. You just have to countersink the Fiberglas a little deeper to make them flush.

Its been a while, but I remember having to run my countersinks deeper for the tinnermans to sit flush with the surface.

Larry

Its been a while, but I remember having to run my countersinks deeper for the tinnermans to sit flush with the surface.

Larry

i bought a box off amazon. They sit a bit proud in a standard #6 dimple. I haven?t had time to figure what is required for them to sit flush.

The "torx" stainless screws from Microfasteners are 100 degree, so work fine with aviation tinnerman washers. I have them on my wingtips, vertical stab fairing, and wheel pants. I don't have them anywhere on aluminum.

Back