What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pop rivet gun

I've had one of these
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-inch-air-hydraulic-riveter-93458.html
for about 15 years. I haven't built an entire plane with it, but it's served me well building a hangar door, multiple other random projects, and for all the pulled rivet work on my -7 project.

No doubt there are better pullers out there, but sometimes better is the enemy of good enough.

Charlie

edit: HF now has a higher powered version:
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-Air-Hydraulic-Riveter-62685.html

I heard Avery tools is closed. Where is a good place to buy a air powered pop rivet gun

Randy
I used the wrong tip on my pop rivet gun from Avery and I called Avery and the fellow there was able to set me straight and back working. Talk about great support. Sorry to see Avery close.

Jeff

I tried using the HF rivet puller a couple of years ago. Went through 2 different tools, neither of which worked properly. Returned them and bought a better tool (Dayton brand if I recall correctly) which has worked well.

However, if I were going to build a complete RV-12, I think I would spend a few hundred $ for one of the high end "Pop" brand rivet guns or equal. I had the chance to use one when I was building my empennage at Synergy Air and the differences were very noticeable. A very smooth pull, lighter and smaller, and with a vacuum holding the rivet in place in the nose piece and pulling the stem into a flexible catch tube. With as many rivets as I think there must be on the 12, I personally think spending the extra money would be worth it.

Good luck with your new project.

The red Taylor brand gun works great. Don't bother with the cheap HF one. It's not worth the aggravation when it keeps on breaking or burping oil all over.

I bought two Harbor Freight guns. That way when one started malfunctioning I just swapped guns, and then fixed the bad one later so I always had one in standby. My friend only bought one and has good luck with about 30% of his project done with no issues. Seems like HF rivet guns are a bit of a **** shoot in reliability.

ATS is our best gun, with a HF as standby. We have built two RV12's simultaneously, so plenty of pulls.

Spend some time checking the hole size to match the rivet mandrel. Our first rivets were leaving a sharp edge because the hole in the tip was too big, the smaller was too small !

Figured out in between and drilled the smaller one out - then it ran perfect.

Also, keep it clean and lubed, you will pull thousands of rivets and every month, it benefits with cleaning the jaws, re lubing with T-9 or similar. Takes a few pulls to settle down, then good to go again.

Harbor Fright gun needed filling with oil - that was a right PITA......

I tried using the HF rivet puller a couple of years ago. Went through 2 different tools, neither of which worked properly. Returned them and bought a better tool (Dayton brand if I recall correctly) which has worked well.

However, if I were going to build a complete RV-12, I think I would spend a few hundred $ for one of the high end "Pop" brand rivet guns or equal. I had the chance to use one when I was building my empennage at Synergy Air and the differences were very noticeable. A very smooth pull, lighter and smaller, and with a vacuum holding the rivet in place in the nose piece and pulling the stem into a flexible catch tube. With as many rivets as I think there must be on the 12, I personally think spending the extra money would be worth it.

Good luck with your new project.
Any way you could provide us with a weblink to the gun you are talking about?
I think many would be interested, based upon your positive experience with it.

Industrial POP rivet guns

Any way you could provide us with a weblink to the gun you are talking about?
I think many would be interested, based upon your positive experience with it.

I didn't write down the model number when I was using it at Synergy Air, but looking at the POP industrial website I believe it was one of their ProSet series Air Rivet Guns, possibly the ProSet 2500. https://poprivettooling.com/catalog/air-rivet-guns/pop-proset-2500-series-rivet-gun/

Looks like this has been replaced by their new ProSet XT series. Here is a link to one vendor of this new series: http://www.blindrivetsupply.com/POP...em-18-Inch-532-Inch-and-316-Inch_p_16114.html

These are not low cost rivet guns, and are certainly not required when there are lower priced guns available. But considering the quantity of pulled rivets in an RV-12, if I were building an RV-12 I would likely spend the $800 for a high quality tool such as these. (Since Synergy Air builds the RV-12 that Van's sells as an SLSA, I'm not surprised they had invested in these industrial quality tools.)

I've had too many times were I have regretted buying a lower priced tool due to problems, lower precision, lower reliability, heavier, etc. Now if I would just learn this lesson instead of repeating this mistake every few years . . . ;)

If I was to buy a pop rivet gun I would look at the milwaukee cordless 12 volt. I have had no experience with it and really don?t know Anything about It but you might want to check it out. Cordless tools have come a long way from what they used to be. I think it?s around $300 but you can probably get it cheaper. Just Google for Milwaukee rivet gun video! Needs no hose!

even the best gun will leave a marred rivet head with a poorlt surfaced, sized, shaped mandrel.
i took a 1/4'' bolt with coarse threads and dressed the head and drilled the proper hole size for the rivet. cut to proper length and heat treated. my rivet heads look perfect after setting. i'll bet there are a lot of builders out there that could have improved the heads by using a GOOd mandrel. the HF gun has done 2 planes for me.

Back