What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dirt Tiedowns

pvalovich

Well Known Member
Heading north next month to view the eclipse and for the first time may have to park my -8A in the dirt. Searched Forum for Tiedown discussions, but as often happens, found a lot of conflicting opinions.

Can anyone provide an update as to the type of tiedown anchors they use? Don't need to get into a knot discussion.

After observing the damage at Sun N Fun several years ago. I immediately bought a set off the supplier there on the field. Can't remember the name but they are the ones that have a phenolic block that you drive three long spikes into the ground and then tie off to the eye bolt there in the block. Came with a hammer with modified claws that remove the spikes. The Bag has rotted away but the tie down still work well at least in the sandy soil. Haven t seen them advertised in a while. I'm sure they are still out there. They are a bit heavy.

Tie downs

The Claw type works best. The screw in spiral types work worst from my experience with many types.

Google: "Avweb tiedowns" for comparative videos. Not really definitive, but gives you some insight. I pound three 18" triangulated spikes into the ground at each tiedown point. Dog-tender screws are worthless.

I live in the NW Caribbean and am currently flying a Britten Norman Islander. I use these same tie downs when we have a threat of very high winds. Pounded the long nails through asphalt and after three years they are still working great. Held the Islander safely in place in over 50 mph winds. I think I bought them from Aircraft Spruce.

I live in the NW Caribbean and have used the type described with the three long nails and puck in the center with the eye bolt. I am currently flying a Britten Norman Islander, twin engine, and these held great in over 50 mph winds. Have had them in the ground for over three years and they still work fine. I think I bought them from Aircraft Spruce.

Dirt tie downs

I was the Chairman of the tie downs for Sun-N-Fun the year of the tornado, and I can tell you that the the failure rate between the claw, and the screw in type was about equal. I saw one aircraft flipped with the claw, while right next to it was the screw in type still intact, and the other way around as well. In my humble opinion, neither works in the Florida sandbox. I do believe that in the northern states where you have "real" dirt, that both will add a measure of protection, but nothing is a sure fire cure. Go with what you feel is the best.

I had these made last year prior to heading to OSH. They worked well. As a bonus, I had the guys in the machine shop at work make them, so they were free :D
https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/eaa/homebuilders/5aircraft%20tiedowns.pdf
I drilled hockey pucks to do essentially the same thing as this design. I drilled 3 holes at about a 40-45 degree angle and got 12" spikes from the aviation aisle of Home Depot. Put an eyebolt in the center. Been using these for 9 years at OSH.

I bought 3 lengths of chain link about 9 inches long & painted them yellow.
I arrange each chain tie down in a triangular configuration & nail in 3 large tent spikes, leaving 1 center link to attach my tie down rope.

Works great. I believe I stole the design from one of the eaa sites.

Paul:

There was a thread on tie down straps that went into the tiedown anchors.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=151151&highlight=tiedown

My post (# 16) has links to some videos that show tests of the different types.

I have been using the Randy Simpson's Titanium screw in anchors for almost 20-years on my RV-6. They work great for me but are no longer available for sale new.

I am planning on buying a set of "Storm Force" tiedowns for my RV-8 project when it starts flying.

Hope to meet up with you next time you are at KFWQ.

TIEDOWNS

A good way to make your on is to go to Lowes and get rope and three 5/8 rebar 24" long don't cost much and holds well.Drive in ground at a 45 angle slanted back at what you holding.
Bob

Back