What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Full RV Tool Kit?

jcedvm

I'm New Here
Hello All
I'm new to this forum. I am excited to say that I just ordered the empennage kit today! I certainly hope I'm apt enough to put it together!

I have reading all I can on this forum but the information is overwhelming. I am quickly seeing many of the reasons it takes years to assemble an RV.

How do you guys feel about the Oshkosh Full RV Tool Kit? Is it worth the money? Or is overkill?

Thanks so much in advance. I'm sure there will be lots and lots of questions for years to come!

Tools

Hello All
I'm new to this forum. I am excited to say that I just ordered the empennage kit today! I certainly hope I'm apt enough to put it together!

I have reading all I can on this forum but the information is overwhelming. I am quickly seeing many of the reasons it takes years to assemble an RV.

How do you guys feel about the Oshkosh Full RV Tool Kit? Is it worth the money? Or is overkill?

Thanks so much in advance. I'm sure there will be lots and lots of questions for years to come!

You'll get the official welcome soon but till then, Welcome and congratulations.
No worries. You will be fine. Poorer, but happy!

As for the tool kit, everyone has an opinion but only yours matters.
Find a mentor and try out their tools. You may find you like one over another or a c-frame over the DRDT. That said, it's a decent deal.
Build on

Not enough tools

Yeah, Mike must be washing his Welcome Wagon apron. So, welcome.

The tools noted will do fine but you will find yourself always collecting tools during the process. Many you can borrow, others you'll have to buy. It is an ongoing process.

Don't hesitate to ask questions!!

Welcome, I bought the full Avery deluxe RV kit, and it was well worth it. Like stated, it was a start and making/buying more specialized tools has been worthwhile. You can always sell them, but can not make up the loss of time.

Look for sales here, but I always missed them so bought new.

Averytools.com on the wayback machine. Others sell the same tools now, but that will give you a listing of what they offered. Check Cleaveland, Brown, yardstore, and others. Several are sponsors here.

Welcome (unofficially) to VAF!

Like the others, I bought a "all you will ever need" tool kit when I started building. As it turned out, I needed a LOT more tools than are included in the kit.

In fact, I don't think a month went by when I wasn't ordering a new tool for some new task. In the end, I was very surprised at how much I had spent on tools, it never ends and even now, with 725 hours on the plane, I am still buying new tools.

The tool kit you are looking at will get you started, so not to worry.

One piece of advice I gave all new builders is that when you get the point where you don't have the "right" tool for the job at hand, stop right there and order the "right" tool. If you to make something "work", you will bugger up the part you have spent 20 hours on, order the tool, order replacement parts from Van's, and then spend another 20 hours to get to the point you were when you should have ordered the new tool in the first place.

One additional recommendation, make sure you have three micro stops. Set one up for a #30 countersink, one for #40, and use the other for the few other countersinks, as needed.

The full tool kit is definitely not too much stuff and you will actually need to buy even more tool items as you go. Just plan of the extra expense now.

Hello All

You never have too many tools....:)

Welcome indeed! Your life is about to change. It won't be long before you'll no longer utter the phrase "assemble an RV" :).

Full ? Kits

The kits offered are well worth the money and are a great starting point but like everyone else has said you will buy more tools throughout the build. Always get the correct tool and don't try and skimp. Also you can never have too many cleco's...I have about 5 pounds of the bronze and 10 of the silver...and I do recommend a couple sets of cleco plyers as you will forever be looking for them if you only have one.

Welcome indeed! Your life is about to change. It won't be long before you'll no longer utter the phrase "assemble an RV" :).

So true. It is a life changing thing you're about to do. Prepare your mind and those of the people around you for what will soon follow...:D

Back