What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Isolator

I have used one in a marine environment but not aviation. I do not see a downside for you other than weight.
Gotta ask, two batteries in a RV-4?

Last edited:
two batteries

Yep, two batteries. It actually turned out that I needed more weight behind the passenger seat for the w&b to work out right since I have a cs 3 blade and IO360 and inverted oil. I have two PC625 mounted there. I have one to run the efis, eis and other radios and ecu. That way I can turn on all that stuff and crank the engine on the other battery without the brownout normally associated with one battery.

Interesting

Good info..I run 2 batteries in my RV-4, one is currently just charged by wall charger and is backup only for my essential stuff. I am running an 0-320H2AD with dual electric fuel pumps and no mechanical. No volts means no fuel. The little FACET pumps are just as reliable as a mechanical, and use very little voltage, but I would like to be able to charge both batteries from the alternator easily.

I am planning to install EFII's Bus Manager. It will charge two batteries with one alternator and give me the option of starting from either battery or both.

if you are running a small backup battery for the efis and pumps a simple shottky diode setup will do the trick.

just curious, with dual batteries and that what kind of useful load do you have?

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Has anyone had any experience using a battery isolator like this http://www.waytekwire.com/item/80046/SURE-POWER-702-MULTI-BATTERY/ with two batteries and one alternator?

This is the only way that I can see to keep two separate electrical systems without having two alternators.

Used Perfect Switch isolators for split charge on my boats. Far better than the old marine-style isolators and if memory serves, they supply for military and air applications. Not cheap but super-reliable and super efficient.

Back