What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy installation question

sblack

Well Known Member
I am planning to install my canopy with adhesive, either the 3m 5200 or sikaflex. If I want to have the inside of the skins painted I guess I have to paint them before installation. Will that glue still stick to the skirts where they will glue to the canopy?

Also, what cleans up that polyurethane glue on the canopy that is safe for lexan?

What I did( Proseal)

I installed mine with the pop rivets per plans, but I put it all together with Proseal and clecoes first, then after the Proseal was set-up, I installed the pop rivets (also dipped in Proseal).I then fillet sealed the area above the frame tube rail with Proseal to match the profile of the skirt skin so there is a finished look and no place for dirt to collect. I cant imagine getting an RV-4 canopy skirt to fit tightly without the rivets and keep the Plexi tight to the frame. Proseal has the bonding strength that I would put up against nearly anything, and is both flexible, and fully paintable. Most folks only relate to Proseal as a fuel tank sealer, but in the world of airliners (my day job), it is used for pressurization ,seam seal, and bonding media. I made the holes through the canopy well oversized, so there is little to no contact between the rivets and the plexi, but the skirt and frame hole size was left at #30 (1/8"). After everything was together, I masked all the inside of the canopy, and painted my interior color.

Scott,
I did 3M 5200 with great results. No rivets, and a fairly easy install. I held it in place with clecoes until adhesive set up. You can paint first and scuff off paint where canopy will bond to structure, or mask after the fact(what I did). It is solid and it is also what is recommended by Todd at Todds' Canopies.

image.jpg2_zps6xmn48dm.jpg
. Thanks guys. Here is a shot of my front canopy fairing.

Last edited:
Nice looking aluminum work on the fairing Scott! I'm a metal guy and had a metal one fitting dang close until I drilled the attach holes and clecoed it. Since I was going to paint anyway, I layed one up out of glass and trimmed it up that when finished looked like a riveted aluminum one. No one can tell except me, but it will forever bug me I didn't just do the metal one!

Canopy Fairing

Hi Scott

Looking good, mine is made of Fiberglass but might be tempted to do the next one in metal..
Did you used an wheel to give it that curvy shape or did it just look like that once installed??

I was in Lachute yesterday afternoon, F.Vrana sent you a texto to let you know I was there so that you could have look at my -4 ...I waited about 1/2 hour but we didn't get a reply so I had to go..Maybe next time..

Cheers

Bruno

Back