What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

bi-fold door repair

Drippy

Well Known Member
OK this isn't an RV10 question but I was wondering if anyone has replaced a cable on a bi-fold hangar door. I am in a rented hangar and one of the 3 braided steel wires is fraying and looks like it will be going soon. It looks to be as simple as replacing it and making sure to get the length right so it is balanced with the other two lift locations but figured I should ask.

Thanks up front

Mike,

If you're in a rented hangar, I think you should have the Owner fix it before it potentially becomes your problem (i.e. falls on your plane, you or your guests). If you try to do it yourself and it fails, you are on the hook; especially if you did the repairs without the knowledge/permission of the Owner.

I agree the owner should be responsible for the repair. But if for some reason you wind up having to do the fix then it is pretty straightforward. I would replace ALL cables while you are at it. Place cinder blocks on the floor under each cable and lower door until cables are slack. Replace one at a time and adjust tension evenly.

Bi-fold repair

Cable replacement is easy. Call the mfg and they will help with what you need to order. Measure the cable lengths and door height before you call and have the serial number ready.

Complete

Thanks for the cinder block suggestion.

Repair complete as you stated pretty easy. Worst part was we were having our annual heat wave here in Vermont and working in a closed up hanger at 100F wasn't a lot of fun for a guy who still hasn't lost all of his winter insulation:).

Back