What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Right wing exploded view

ijustwannafly

Well Known Member
Hey guys

Am i missing something here. I noticed in my plans i only have an exploded view of the LEFT wing? Where is the right wing?

Vans does not supply one or am i missing it? I did a search on it but did not see anything about it

DWG??

Hey guys

Am i missing something here. I noticed in my plans i only have an exploded view of the LEFT wing? Where is the right wing?

Vans does not supply one or am i missing it? I did a search on it but did not see anything about it
Welcome to Vans DWG. Better learn to stand upside down!
You guessed correct. Most views are one side. You have to think backwards for the other side.
Buy the CD plans. Helps a lot.

i c

Well isn't that swell, it appears for the wings you just need to reverse the L,s and R,s

Last edited:
Yes, this is not atypical for symmetric-type plans. One side is shown; the other is inferred. This doesn't work so well when you have an asymmetry, like the pitot tube or the autopilot servo.

There is some interpretation that's required .. or you can just consult the brain trust (wirejock, not me; my scrap bin is too big)

L and R

Depends.
There are lots of "L" and "R" part numbers. Just reverse them on the other side. Always check the DWG. Seems like they show the right on some.

Caution though, a rib with a "L" part number can be used on both the left and right wings.

L and R on the part numbers do not always mean left and right sides. :)

L can stand for LOTS

I learned the hard way that L can stand for left, lower, long(er) and one or two other things:eek: I think it was when I was doing the tip up roll bar that I assumed L meant lower (the lower of two curved pieces) when it meant longer (meaning the upper of two curved piecse! I could be wrong in the specific recollection but I remember being a bit pieved over that level of ambiguity. Of course I started at the bottom (shorter piece) and assumed they had provided enough material to allow for trimming to fit. I then found that no matter how much I trimmed the top piece it was always too short!

Education and Recreation! And buying new parts!

Caution though, a rib with a "L" part number can be used on both the left and right wings.

L and R on the part numbers do not always mean left and right sides. :)

Yes ... ribs especially. L and R are tied to the direction of the flanges on the ribs. They alternate in a non-uniform pattern, to give better access to shop head during assembly. Study carefully!

Yes ... ribs especially. L and R are tied to the direction of the flanges on the ribs. They alternate in a non-uniform pattern, to give better access to shop head during assembly. Study carefully!

And IIRC (don't have my construction manual handy at the moment), there is a description of the L vs R naming scheme for the wing ribs in there (I believe it says that it indicates the direction of the flange when viewing the rib from "behind", i.e., from aft towards forward).

I might be particular, particular...

I took the small version of the drawing and printed a mirror image just to verify AND also clecoed on the skins to make sure before I riveted the ribs to the right spar.

Indeed. I did however take off the suspenders and let the belt be a single point failure.

#livingontheedge :p

Indeed. I did however take off the suspenders and let the belt be a single point failure.

#livingontheedge :p

At least you don't have to worry about removing your belt for TSA and dropping trou at the airport...another reason I *love* my RV-7A! :)

Back