What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Mount Bolt Torqued?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I installed the engine mount today on the 7 and it went surprisingly well. The question I have is what torque do the castellated nuts get? Also what have others used as shims for the bottom center bolts?

Thank you.

IIRC, one of my shims was a disc of 1/8" stock. Can't remember if the other spot has a thin sheet, or nothing.

Charlie

The nuts are torqued to 160-190in lb. you will need to vary your washer stack up to get the right bolt torque and have the cotter pins align. I just used some appropriately thick alclad sheet to make my spacer for the bottom two mount locations. They were later sealed around with fire barrier 2000+ so it is water tight and poses no intermetalic corrosion risk.
Tom.

Put a couple hundred hours on the plane and then go back and check the torque on those motor mount bolts.

Can someone explain why castellated nuts are used in this application? There is no rotational movement. Why aren't metal locking nuts used here?

PS: checked mine today and 3 of 4 were not tight enough.

Back