What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 w/ Retractable gear?

Does anyone have information outlining how the landing gear was engineered into Klaus Roth's RV-4? Any clue what type of gear system he used for the modification? Sure looks sweet :)

http://www.rvuk.flyer.co.uk/rvdetails/deskr.htm

deskr4.jpg

deskr6.jpg

WOW! What an incredibly beautiful airplane! I did not think much could be done to improve on the -4's sexy looks-- until these pics, that is.
I'll be watching this thread... just in case.

Yes but

You've got to admit, it looks pretty darn cool. I bet it looks really great in flight. We have already determined in other threads that money is no object with flying :) So I say, go for it.

Yes, Brian Carr of Langley, B.C. did one some years ago. He sold it to a guy in the states and it is still flying. Brian is building his 6th RV right now.
Cheers, Pete

The article in Plane and Pilot was very interesting. He and built a standard RV-4 and used it to tow gliders, (That could be the other -4 in the pictures.) although I don?t see a tow hook on the FG RV-4. He talked about the weight increase for the retractable gear RV-4 was something like 80 lbs and he had a heck of a time getting it certified in Germany. (We have it so easy here in the States!) The article talked about the mods to the spar and the stiffing he had to do to keep the wing from twisting, where he put the fuel tanks and the electric hydraulic pack. That guy really did a fine job of it, right down to the retractable tail wheel!

He also said the speed increase was only something like 4 kts. over his RV-4 FG

Maybe someone else who still has the article can fill in more details.

Hardly worth the work, if speed is what you are after, IMHO, but the look beyond description. What it needs now is some fake guns sticking out of the wings and maybe a Luftwaffe paint job!

Back