What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sika 206 or 209 Primer on RV-8 canopy?

Airzen

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I read through the archive and couldnt solve this (most of the posts about this were a few years old).

Is there a consensus on what Sikaflex primer we should be using when bonding the canopy to a *powdercoated* frame?

It seems that some folks have used 206G&P primer on bare aluminium, but I wasnt able to figure what to use on the powdercoated one. I am trying to go through the sikaflex dosumentation as well, but its not very crystal clear.

Any help will be appreciated!

Ashish

sika 206

216g&p (glass&pinchweld)
works well on sound substrate. make sure to properly clean the powdercoated parts, no other paint should be on it,then use activator just before priming with 206
cliff
rv9a t/u
chase bc

216g&p (glass&pinchweld)
works well on sound substrate. make sure to properly clean the powdercoated parts, no other paint should be on it,then use activator just before priming with 206
cliff
rv9a t/u
chase bc

So Aktivator and 206 G+P on the frame.

And Aktivator and 209 on the canopy?

And then use Sika 295UV black as an adhesive.

What confuses me is that jamestowndistributor website quotes this: "Sika Primer 206G+P is an adhesion promoter for FRP/GRP and certain metals. This black primer is used to prep Sika 296."

Note that it talks about Sika **296** as opposed to Sika 295UV, what I think most of the builders have used as an adhesive.

Finally, Is Aktivator same as 226 cleaner?

Sorry too many questions. :confused:

I took the PC off my frame down to bare steel, came out great. pics on build site. Have fun!

sika 206

for what it isworth, in the automotive world sika says to only use 206 as a spot primer, anything greater than 1" should be primed with epoxy primer

cliff
rv9a t/u
chase bc

sika 206

for what it isworth, in the automotive world sika says to only use 206 as a spot primer, any BARE METAL greater than 1" should be primed with epoxy primer

cliff
rv9a t/u
chase bc

Back