What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator trim tab skin question

Little Wing

Finished up my trim tab today but I am not too happy with the results. I think I may have taken some of the bend out of the trim spar while dimpling. The top of the skin is concave and the bottom convex by about 1.5/32".
Does anyone think this needs to be fixed or build on?
Thanks in advance!
6fyxxd.jpg

149d30h.jpg

I stressed a lot over mine which came out about the same. Now that it's painted and flying it's impossible to notice unless someone was to put a straight edge on it. Operationally it works just fine...

Suggest you build on, then see if you still notice it by the time the plane is assembled. I bet there will be other little boo-boos that will bother you more... You can always rebuild it then, probably in about 1/3 the time it took for the first one...

The small tab can be tough to get perfect. It looks perfect when drilled/clecoed, then changes after dimpling. If you want to feel better, take a straight edge with you to sun-n-fun or airventure and compare others. Probably find yours in the middle of the pack. Build on.

Back