What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ram Air

JFWilson

I am considering the Rod Bower Ram Air System. I have a RV-8 with a IO-375, vertical sump. Not real excited about having to cut and modify the cowl. Has anybody designed a system that would fit the existing Vans Cowl? And if not are you satisfied with the Rod Bower System?

Jim Wilson

Switch to horizontal induction?

Almost all the ram air systems need horizontal induction. Fitting a Rod Bower system to vertical induction is going to require a very significant cowl bulge.
My main complaint with the Bower system is that the filtered air is drawn from the warm lower cowl plenum, which gives a double hit on performance just when you need it most (take-off). First, it is about an inch lower manifold pressure, and it is warmer.

Search threads for discussions on alternative arrangements, mine draws filtered air from the cooling inlet ramp, and has only 1/4" loss compared to ram. But I do like having ram performance for cruise.

On balance, if/when i do it again, I will stick with Van's snorkel feeding the horizontal induction from the cooling inlet ramp through a filter, and just make nice round inlet lips around the filter box to help smooth flow into the filter. This arrangement gives manifold pressure within a few tenths of an inch of ram. It preserves the clean lines of the cowl.

Alternate air system

I have an alternate air system that typically accepts a K&N cone filter. Not sure if that's what you're looking for. Send me an email and I'll send you a picture.
expressbldr at yahoo dot com

Search

For a recent thread discussing the claimed and theoretical increase in induction pressure. May be enlightening..

Back