What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil cooler spacer

DEWATSON

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if there is an offset/curved/canted spacer to go between the oil cooler and the opening on the number 4 baffle on an IO360 parallel valve RV8. I have the large oil cooler and have also done all of the checks (oil flow, crimped oil line, vernatherm,etc) to make sure that my problem is not airflow. I have flown the airplane for 369 hours and I constantly struggle with marginally high oil temperatures. I'd like to get this problem squared away before the summer flying season gets started. Can anybody provide a drawing or better yet tell me where I can find one already built?

spacer

It seems that I've seen one here some time ago. It was built on a cant to keep the oil cooler from touching the engine mount. Does anybody remember the post?

Robbie Attaway

The stand off referred to was manufactured by Robbie Attaway. I purchased one from him about two years ago but was unable to use on my RV9. I'd be delighted to sell this for $50.00 plus ship. I paid around $100.

Paul

The stand off referred to was manufactured by Robbie Attaway. I purchased one from him about two years ago but was unable to use on my RV9. I'd be delighted to sell this for $50.00 plus ship. I paid around $100.
Out of curiousity, Paul, why were you unable to use it? Did it just not fit the geometry of the RV-9 mount?

The reason I'm interested in this is that my hot summer temps can get up slightly over 220 (and more if I let it) and others have recommended either (a) a larger oil cooler or (b) one spaced just a bit further from the hot cylinder. Both options, however, would require an angled spacer of some sort that would be a bit tricky to make myself.

Out of curiousity, Paul, why were you unable to use it? Did it just not fit the geometry of the RV-9 mount?

The reason I'm interested in this is that my hot summer temps can get up slightly over 220 (and more if I let it) and others have recommended either (a) a larger oil cooler or (b) one spaced just a bit further from the hot cylinder. Both options, however, would require an angled spacer of some sort that would be a bit tricky to make myself.

Steve, it would be interesting to compare our installations. I don't have a problem in summer months, but have a hard time getting oil temps up to normal in winter months. I have my cooler blocked almost completely off in the winter, and about 60% in the spring.

Steve, it would be interesting to compare our installations. I don't have a problem in summer months, but have a hard time getting oil temps up to normal in winter months. I have my cooler blocked almost completely off in the winter, and about 60% in the spring.
I still have to block it at certain times of the year in order to get my OT up to 180. Almost all the way blocked off from December-February, then I have a smaller cover plate to use Oct-Nov and Mar-Apr. Yours is firewall mounted isn't it? Mine's on the back baffle.

Back