What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil cooler position on baffle

Kato's 8

Well Known Member
Hello,
I have now done the aft left baffles twice now and not 100 percent happy with the second one. The first attempt was hitting cowl 1/8inch before the cowl seated onto the bottom so I did a new baffle and opening for cooler. This time 1/2 lower. Though I can get the cowl on ok, I think I only have about 1/4 inch from the cowling and the outboard curve of the upper cooler.
Im using the vans cooler and baffle kit. I tried to position this cooler so that the plate nut for the lower inbd mounting bolt would be just above the cylinder fins. Any lower and it would interfear. I think I could drop about 1/8 inch at most but really dont want to redo everything again.
Does anyone have pictures of a plans mounted standard oil cooler on 0360 using vans baffles. Cant seem to find any on search. Most pics I find are of wider coolers or different engines setups.
Im just wondering how close others are to their cowling and if they had rubbing issues.
Thanks for any advice here.

Bill, this is an image of my cooler.

It is a AERO Classics (model 8000075) 7 row draw cup, I believe the same dimension as Vans EA OIL COOLER II.

288xlhk.jpg

Bill,

I'm pretty sure that the lower inboard cooler mounting bolt is not used as it would interfere with the cooling fins. The upper and middle only are used on the inboard side as I recall. I had about a finger gap between the cowling and the left rear cooling baffling corner. My baffles have been modified to utilize a aluminum upper plenum cover and NOT the rubber baffle material as supplied, so yours may be different. No pictures available at the moment.

Bevan

Remember, the engine rotates outboard. It does not bounce up and down. Thus, you may well have limited clearance in the vertical plane but will be OK due to the rotation of the engine.

Bill,

I'm pretty sure that the lower inboard cooler mounting bolt is not used as it would interfere with the cooling fins. The upper and middle only are used on the inboard side as I recall.
You are correct.

Thanks for quick response guys! I first need to clarify that I meant the middle bolt on inbd side and not the lower one. Sorry. My middle bolts plate nut is about 1/8 inch from interfering with the cylinder if I were to try going any lower on mounting. I think I'll try to get pics posted this week and get opinions from everyone at that time.
Any other pics welcome in the meantime. Thanks again!
Bill

For what it's worth...

I had to relieve the cylinder fins a bit to make room for one nutplate. On that one I shortened the bolt so that it is flush ie no threads showing.

The reinforcement is to try and prevent cracking many have experienced in this area. There's also an extra (larger) .040 doubler in there if you look closely... The oil cooler has lots of clearance from the cowling. I used 6 bolts with sleeves and sandwiched the cooler flange with 1.8" aluminum bar stock. Couldn't see any reason not to... Only 27 hrs so far so time will tell...

If you've cut the baffles too close it's probably easier to fix now than later when it cracks...

Last edited:
Back