VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-13-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Hi Dave..

....thanks for coming here. I added gap seals to a Cassutt racer and picked up quite a bit and I've read that you added them to the -4. If so, what effect did it have on the controls and did you see a significant gain?

Thanks,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 AM

Default high speeds on airframe

Hello Dave,
Your RV-4 is a beauty. I know everyone wants to make their plane faster. What have you done to the airframe that allows you to go that fast( past redline) without concerns of flutter or structure failure? I noticed you use the flat wing root fairings with the rubber grommet. Have you tested the contoured root fairings and if so what difference did you find?

Thanks
Chris Murphy RV-4
Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 AM

Hi Dave,
Wondered if you could comment on your muffler system and what components you used and what effect the muffler system has on your speed?

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2017 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV (RV4chick's blog)
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 02-19-2008, 07:40 AM

Sorry if this question is naive...

But I was wondering how this increased speed/speed mods related to the stock aircraft's Vne... I read an article where an RV-4 pilot inadvertently induced some control flutter, and that was at a considerably lower speed than 260mph.

BTW, can someone point me to a source that states what the Vne actually is? I've read a few POH's that put it at ~210mph TAS, but I can't say that I've read where D.V. said what it is...

On a different note, any ideas of the drag reduction due to the raised turtle deck?

Very interesting stuff, I read the time line/modification article and am simply amazed...

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-19-2008, 12:11 PM

Default I wish I was as studious as Dave

Yes, the manual for the RV-4 says that VNE is 210. I think that Dave is extremely careful when going faster than that. One thing is that I think Van's is slightly conservative (probably with good reason) and that it is generally considered by some people that the RV is overbuilt. The only two people I have seen fly it are Dave and his wife while he was in the backseat. I don't know what speed he normally cruises at when alone but when flying with a group of "normal" RV's I am sure matches their speed. Keep in mind that this extra speed is most likely why he added a counterbalance weight to the rudder.

As far as the speed increse with the turtleback mod, he did that along with some other mods so was unable to determine an exact number, if I recall this correctly.

One other thing, a friend of mine who has ridden in the plane says that it gets quite warm in there, even with the tinted canopy, since the cabin air apparently comes through the engine compartment first.

P.S. Thanks Dave for offering to clear up some of the info sheet stuff. The stuff over my head more relates to the use of the mathmatical formulas and such. I didn't go to engineering school or anything like that
RV-4 Plans only S/N 2938
Cessna 152
Elk Grove, CA
VAF #744 Exempt but paid in Feb anyway
Old 02-19-2008, 03:54 PM

Take a look at building tip #4 on the following link, it will answer some of the questions that have been posted.

http://sacrvators.com/Building%20Tips.htm

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com