What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Monday's off, quick beach run!

BruceEicher

Well Known Member
After entertaining for the Super Bowl then overnight guests that hung out till early afternoon (she was the daughter and ground crew of a famous Gee Bee pilot, so I tolerated the stay) I was so anxious to take to the warm blue skies!

Katie and our Dog Hana quickly jumped at the chance for beach and dinner in Manzanita...

Twenty minutes over the coastal range, cross winds until swirly winds below the treetops landing, always keeps you on your toes...

30 minute beach walk for dinner then back again.

There were tent campers on the field. Temps 75 high 50 low!!! We camped here in February last year...

But no time today, back to the funky winds on TO, less of a problem...

Camera came out for the first time today after 1715 TO...

Downwind departure from Nehalem Bay.
311t2wx.jpg

Sun setting over the Pacific with GIB and DIB (Katie cuddling Hana)
5ujser.jpg

Turning East to home in 20 minutes.
2cmvvde.jpg

Nehalem Bay State is not for the weak of heart. It is better now that the tree's have grown. We try to get over to our beach home there once a month. PM me on your next trip over. If we are there, we will come say hi.
If we have the boat out, we can pick you up at the boat launch and send you home with some crab. It is a short walk from the runway.
Sunset was Feb. 1st, a break between our normal winter storms.
Nehalem Bay State and Manzanita are a must see if you get to the Northern Oregon Coast.

kalhs0.jpg

2zewaxz.jpg

Great Crab'n!

Thanks Jon, we might just do that some time.
Back in our earth (and sea) bound days we would pull the boat over to Nehalem Bay and do the same. Then my neighbor borrowed and wrecked our boat. I used the insurance check to buy the I0-360...best day in a boat owner's life...
Cheers!

Fantastic pictures, Bruce! And Jon, too! Our family has a beach house just south of here, at Cape Meares. Close to the Tillamook airport. We're looking forward to trips like this, too!

One of my favorite airports. I've experienced the squirrely winds many times (and seems Hula Girl is parked there every other time I go hah - may be we should rename the field to Bruce International!).

I see a few regulars there from time to time.
Make sure you fill out the sign in sheet. This airport has been on "the list" for some time. We don't want to lose this resource.
I only fly in to check on our house. It is a nice walk from there. I won't keep the airplane there overnight unless there are airplane campers on the field. More than one person I know has had an issue with vandalism. With no fence and easy access for teenagers camping in the park, well, we all did dumb things when we where young without thinking of the consequences.
It is just fine for day trips.

I have looked into the possibility of trailering, something like an RV12 or Sportsman, or perhaps a Terrafugia. The State will give you a key to the gate for $180 a year. I could drive it home.
However, being our primary home is only a couple hours away, it just doesn't make sense. We drive.

We all should lobby for a fence, but that isn't without issues either, and they struggle to keep it open with their current budget.

So, keep enjoying the day trips, and for the out of towner's that like to camp, you can right next to your airplane and know it is safe.

Sorry Chuck, it was loose by mistake and slipped down. I fixed it right after the photo...I promise to check that better before TO.

On a calm early morning this airstrip and approach is quite easy.

Downwind leg, runway just in front of wheel pant, tree cut out.
Jon, see your house?

Base leg over bay

Final runway 33

Almost. We are on the ninth hole of the golf course. Just one tsunami away from being beach front!

Last edited:
Back