What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navworx 600 EXP

I think that's what I said, but maybe I missed Jessie's post saying the same thing. My girl cousin is Jessie. I'm Jesse. :p

ok
Thanks Dan and Jesse.
I am still surprised they would accept just a N number and not the other requested information.

question on 600EXP setup.

600EXP arrived couple days ago. I was # 39. Installed and connected the antennas today ,had previously wired power ground and transmonSPE several months ago. Im using a GTX 327 BUT have the transmonSPE option due to older transponder installed at time of the Navworx order. Will be using IFly 720 for weather and traffic via the wifi. Have the external GPS antenna option.

Couple of questions for those who have already done this. (1) Assume I will chose the option for transmonSPE altitude and squawk since the Mode C GTX 327 receives altitude from Dynon 180. (2) what baud rate should the display option be set to. ? (3) Do I need internet connection for the set up.? (4) Where does the HEX code address come from and is this an entry I make?

Will power up tomorrow and attempt the set up.

Last edited:
600EXP arrived couple days ago. I was # 39. Installed and connected the antennas today ,had previously wired power ground and transmonSPE several months ago. Im using a GRT 327 BUT have the transmonSPE option due to older transponder installed at time of the Navworx order. Will be using IFly 720 for weather and traffic via the wifi. Have the external GPS antenna option.

Couple of questions for those who have already done this. (1) Assume I will chose the option for transmonSPE altitude and squawk since the Mode C GRT 327 receives altitude from Dynon 180. (2) what baud rate should the display option be set to. ? (3) Do I need internet connection for the set up.? (4) Where does the HEX code address come from and is this an entry I make?

Will power up tomorrow and attempt the set up.

1. If you choose the TransMon(Squawk + Altitude), this would eliminate the need for the encoder & 327 outputs. The encoder dropdown list will hide.
If you receive from the Dynon encoder & GTX-327 (2). I used Icarus/9600. Others have used Shadin Z with success.
3. You receive your connection from the EXP wifi to use the UAT software. No additional wifi connection needed.
Note: Make sure you launch the UAT after you've made a successful connection to the NavworxAP wifi.
4. Hex code is derived once you enter your call sign/Tail#

BTW, I used the iFly 720 prior to my GRT Sport SX. Worked great.

Last edited:
In talking to Bill, he said that it is best, even with the Transmonspe to still get the Control output from the 327 due to stability. In fact, since you just added the 327, I would recommend leaving out the Transmonspe altogether and run the 2 wires, one for encoder and one for control. Then you can sell the Transmonspe.

On the baud rate, if you don't have a display that will be wired to the Navworx, then you don't have to set it at anything. The wifi has a baud rate that you cannot set. The baud rate for the display output is only for the wired display output.

Thanks Jesse, I wondered about the transmonSPE vs the direct connection via the GTX 327. I may go ahead and set up with the transmonSPE and give it a try ( since that involves working UNDER the panel again). The 327 as well as the navworx were are pinned out with that switch over option in mind. Would like to hear comments on performance on one vs the other.

TransmonSPE vs hardwire

I have a 330 but chose to install the TransmonSPE for ease of installation. With about 8 flight hours since my 600EXP installation it has worked perfectly unless the referenced instability only shows up with FAA performance evaluations since I've only had one when I made the first flight post install.

Since I have TIS-A traffic on my 430 I did not check off the stealth mode since Bill indicated using Stealth would cause a conflict with TIS-A traffic. I use WingX and an iPad for my display.

I find it curious that Bill would seemingly denigrate his own product's performance in favor of the hardwire option and I would like a clarification form him.

Don Bodnar

Last edited:
Set up on NavWorx was easy and flawless. The ifly 720 needed a couple buttons pushed to get the naxworx wifi connected but short of first flight with 600EXP all seems to be well. Field to wet today for takeoff.

I get the impression that the Transmonspe is simply a "bandaid" for a system that has no digital encoder and/or a transponder that doesn't have a control output. I had a plane with a Gray code encoder to a 327 and Bill said it would be work best with the 327 wired up and the Transmonspe just for altitude.

Made first flt with NavWorx 600EXP today. Everything worked perfectly. Wx , Traffic reports and checked in with Chattanooga Apr. All appears to be working well from this side. I ll request the FAA report and let you know what they say.

The Transmonspe worked just fine on our install. A piece of cake compared to adding the wires to the encoder and transponder. Just saying that for many builders the Transmospe will be a much less of a challenge. IMHO.

Larry

I agree the transmon is an easy install. I had installed it with intentions of using a older Narco Xponder already in the panel but a lot of GTX327 came up on the used list as people began to go to the glass panel Xponders. May at some point decide to pull comm wire from the 327 to the 600EXP but for now will just see how this goes. Was very pleased with the Navworx installation and straight forward set up. I sent in the request for FAA report later today we 'll see what they say.

Does anyone have results from mounting a 600EXP behind the baggage compartment bulkhead and using the wifi to forward data to a panel mounted or ipad device? Just curious if the wifi worked well if antenna is hidden behind the baggage bulkhead. Guess you could however extend the wifi antenna thru with short piece of RG. Its just connected with a SMA connector.

Does anyone have results from mounting a 600EXP behind the baggage compartment bulkhead and using the wifi to forward data to a panel mounted or ipad device? Just curious if the wifi worked well if antenna is hidden behind the baggage bulkhead. Guess you could however extend the wifi antenna thru with short piece of RG. Its just connected with a SMA connector.

Was wondering the same thing. It seems it would be worth a try...I like the idea of placing the EXP out of the way behind the bulkhead vice in baggage compartment.

ADS600-EXP

Made first flt with NavWorx 600EXP today. Everything worked perfectly. Wx , Traffic reports and checked in with Chattanooga Apr. All appears to be working well from this side. I ll request the FAA report and let you know what they say.

I've been running my ADS600-EXP for a few weeks now. Today I took an IFR trip to Naples, traveling from KBKV around Tampa to the west. It's really nice to see the weather on the GRT displays.

But I've seen something that has me stumped: On multiple system power-ups, I've had the ADS600-EXP not find the GPS sats. Each time I've had to cycle the ADS600-EXP power to get the unit properly booted up and running. (Please note that this occurs AFTER engine start.)

I also saw this type of GPS failure (always verified on the PC wireless app) when doing aerobatics: once it lost the GPS signal, the unit would not re-aquire it again until the power was cycled.

Has anyone else seen this type of behavior? Is this something that Bill Moffett should be made aware of?

I've been running my ADS600-EXP for a few weeks now. Today I took an IFR trip to Naples, traveling from KBKV around Tampa to the west. It's really nice to see the weather on the GRT displays.

But I've seen something that has me stumped: On multiple system power-ups, I've had the ADS600-EXP not find the GPS sats. Each time I've had to cycle the ADS600-EXP power to get the unit properly booted up and running. (Please note that this occurs AFTER engine start.)

I also saw this type of GPS failure (always verified on the PC wireless app) when doing aerobatics: once it lost the GPS signal, the unit would not re-aquire it again until the power was cycled.

Has anyone else seen this type of behavior? Is this something that Bill Moffett should be made aware of?

Don't you have to be in the air to get ADS B Weather info? ie, nothing on the ground? Or am I mixing apples and oranges here. I ask, because I'm a future NavWorx owner.

Don't you have to be in the air to get ADS B Weather info? ie, nothing on the ground? Or am I mixing apples and oranges here. I ask, because I'm a future NavWorx owner.

ADS-B data can be received on the ground if there is a station on the field, or within the range of the unit, AND the unit is operating properly. This isn't the problem I am experiencing.....

I've been monitoring the STATUS of the ADS600-EXP unit using NavWorx's PC app. The app shows the status of the unit, including the GPS status. What I've seen is that on power up of the ADS600-EXP, sometimes the GPS status shows no latitude or longitude data, with the unit status NOT READY FOR FLIGHT. This also happens in flight during aerobatics (even after it was properly operating). Cycling the power to the unit always seems to result in proper operation.

On the ground I will intermittently get a "GPS Fail" message on my IPAD with Wingx. It does not occur in flight. On another note Wingx has an external hardware drop down panel that shows the 600 EXP's status. All data looks good except the line under "Participating Aircaraft" which shows "NO". I have the 1090 receiver upgrade and wonder if that might be an issue since the Firmware update to make it functional is not out yet?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Don Bodnar

RV7A with external (Garmin non WAAS) GPS ANT and External UAT ANT.

Last edited:
received the FAA "compliance " report back after first flight with the NavWorX 600EXP . everything is 100% no exceptions.
installed equipment is: Navworx600EXP, external GPS antenna , bottom mounted Delta Pop UAT antenna. TransmonSPE. Probably one of the few with a GTX 327 and using the transmon. Display uses the 600EXP s WiFi com to an Ifly 720 . traffic and weather display reports great.

Last edited:
Ordered mine in April

Has anybody who ordered in April or later received their units? I was told a couple weeks ago that I should expect mine the following Monday, then got a email on Monday that they had production issues and would be delayed.

Has anybody who ordered in April or later received their units? I was told a couple weeks ago that I should expect mine the following Monday, then got a email on Monday that they had production issues and would be delayed.

Working the phone will get your unit delivered. Squeaky wheel. ;)

Just ordered mine ---- looking at six weeks

I ordered last week, after communicating with Bill Moffett --- he estimated about six weeks. I will be using my D10A for encoder and new G327 for squawk code.

R.

Ordered end of May. Told two weeks ago it would be the last week of December. Called yesterday and was told the middle of January.

I'm guessing is that the production problem they had was that they used all the early money they got to buy production equipment, and now they are building newer orders and take new money in order to make payroll. Of course that's just speculation, but speculation is what you get at the end of a long string of empty promises.

Called today

Ordered in mid April. Bill said that the trolley used in the production was delivered last week and they are producing units as I type. Said I could expect delivery after the New Year

Configuring rs232 for multiple displays

I am installing my second ADS600-EXP. I have a GRT EFIS and a Garmin 496 in the plane. I would like to send traffic to both the EFIS and the 496. Looks like I must choose one or the other as under configuration the display setup is either "pass through" for the EFIS or TIS-A (GPSMAP 396, 496, 696, etc).

Can traffic be sent to both an EFIS and a 496?

I am installing my second ADS600-EXP. I have a GRT EFIS and a Garmin 496 in the plane. I would like to send traffic to both the EFIS and the 496. Looks like I must choose one or the other as under configuration the display setup is either "pass through" for the EFIS or TIS-A (GPSMAP 396, 496, 696, etc).

Can traffic be sent to both an EFIS and a 496?

I'm not familiar with the 496.
Can the 496 receive data via wifi?
If so, hard wire the GRT and get wifi info to the 496.
I'm not sure whether the wire from the EXP can be split. A Bill Moffit question.

BTW, the traffic & weather display on the GRT is far superior than it was on my iFly720. Just sayin'

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether the wire from the EXP can be split. A Bill question.

No WIFI for the 496 or GRT.
The wire from the EXP is a RS232 serial which typically may feed multiple devices, but the problem lies in different "languages" the 496 and the GRT require. The EXP only has 1 serial output so it appears it may only output 1 language at any given time.

Shipping Notice

I ordered my EXP UAT from Navworx on March 1. I just received notification from UPS that they are delivering a package to me on Friday. Woohoo ;)

I'm not sure whether the wire from the EXP can be split. A Bill Moffit question.

BTW, the traffic & weather display on the GRT is far superior than it was on my iFly720. Just sayin'

I am with Dan on this. I used to have a 496 with weather. Once I got weather and traffic on the EFIS display, I found that I no longer looked at the 496 for weather.

If you MUST have both then another receiver (DUAL, FDS, SkyRadar, iLevil) could be purchased and connected to the GRT EFIS.

Now if you have only one display and that display is kept in PFD mode (not split) then you won't get weather or the full up traffic on that screen. Must be in MAP or have a split map from the PFD. Then on the 496 seems to make the most sense.

I would give it a try on the EFIS screen and then see if I REALLY needed/wanted it on the 496 as well.

James

Understood the wx likely better on the EFIS. I do only have 1 display (grt hx) used as a primary attitude indicator or I would likely prefer the same.

I installed the Navworx unit in my other plane and received a compliance report on it. All good except one highlighted in red:
Kinematics
Baro Alt
0.39% fail
MCF 3 (maximum consecutive failures)

It came with a message: There is an issue with your Balt which may be caused by your GPS.

Emailed Navworx, their reply:
All reports are good. Your Baro alt fails .39% of the time which means your baro alt works 99.61% of the time. This report is very good. your GPS is not interfering with your Balt.

This is concerning that it would be in red on the compliance report.
What say ye?

I'd go with what Bill said, but FWIW, mine was 0% fail on those catorgories, but several others had .09% fail. Which seems odd as they all had .09% fail rate. Makes me think it's in the noise, but in any event, the comment from the Feds was "looks good"
Fly somewhere and get another report, could just be the ground equipment.
Tim Andres

I'd go with what Bill said, but FWIW, mine was 0% fail on those catorgories, but several others had .09% fail. Which seems odd as they all had .09% fail rate. Makes me think it's in the noise, but in any event, the comment from the Feds was "looks good"
Fly somewhere and get another report, could just be the ground equipment.
Tim Andres
I would like to accept the looks good from email reply I received from navworx. When the compliance report has an area in bright red I presume that is out of compliance. Am I wrong? Is there a list somewhere listing max deviations allowable before it is classified as out of compliance?

Is there a list somewhere listing max deviations allowable before it is classified as out of compliance?

In our understanding, if anything is red on the report you are not in compliance. They have thresholds for each item, and if you violate any single one of those there is an issue. You don't get to fail a few.

Generically ADS-B is only supposed to have an error rate of 0.00003%. Most reports show 0% failures for all items, so if you really are failing 0.4% of the time something is likely up.

Note Balt is from your altitude encoder, so look into how your ADS-B system is getting baro altitude.

Since I have asked in the past - -

Just received UPS shipping info from Navworx. Will be here next week ( EXP ). Glad it is coming. Hope all the work others have done will help get mine going sooner.

In our understanding, if anything is red on the report you are not in compliance. They have thresholds for each item, and if you violate any single one of those there is an issue. You don't get to fail a few.

Generically ADS-B is only supposed to have an error rate of 0.00003%. Most reports show 0% failures for all items, so if you really are failing 0.4% of the time something is likely up.

Note Balt is from your altitude encoder, so look into how your ADS-B system is getting baro altitude.

Thanks for the post; it is appreciated.

Here is the reply I received to my last inquiry pertaining to this compliance report:

If you take off and start climbing, you enter ADS-B Network coverage before you enter Radar network coverage. Which means that for the minutes in between, your ADS-B has been sending out default data until the transponder first replies to a radar interrogation.

That isn't a failure of the equipment, it is just a reality of the environment.

The FAA doesn't know any colors other than white or red. Unless the system is 100%, it's red on their report. Even if they are the problem.

That sounds like your ADS-B picks up the altitude from your transponder transmission, and your transponder doesn't transmit until interrogated by radar so your ADS-B solution can't work fully until your transponder is alive.

What happens if you're in the middle of Kansas and you aren't being interrogated at all? What about the fact that enroute radars interrogate once every 12 seconds so your altitude can be 12 seconds old?

This isn't just part of ADS-B. This is an issue with a specific technical implementation that gets baro altitude from the transponder. Most systems do not do this and don't have this limitation because they are directly connected to the altitude encoding system in the plane. I've never once seen a baro alt failure with a Dynon ADS-B out system because the ADS-B out has access to baro all the time.

Be interesting to get an opinion of acceptability of getting altitude via transponder transmissions. 91.227 says:

(3) The aircraft must transmit its position and velocity at least once per second while airborne or while moving on the airport surface.

(4) The aircraft must transmit its position at least once every 5 seconds while stationary on the airport surface.

And

(1) The aircraft must transmit its geometric position no later than 2.0 seconds from the time of measurement of the position to the time of transmission.

Remember, the guidance on ADS-B in experimentals is from here:

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/faq/#q4

For uncertified equipment, the owner should obtain a statement of compliance from the supplier, along with installation instructions, that identifies that the ADS-B equipment complies with section 3 requirements of the applicable TSO and that, when installed in accordance with the installation instructions, complies with the aircraft requirements of 14 CFR 91.227. The FAA expects manufacturers to perform appropriate engineering efforts to ensure the equipment complies with all requirements of Section 3 of the TSO before issuing their statement of compliance, and expects installers to consider the guidance in the current version of AC 20-165 when performing the installation.
Owners of experimental aircraft should retain the statement of compliance from the equipment supplier in the aircraft records to assist in resolving in-service issues, should they arise. The FAA monitors compliance to the ADS-B Out requirements, and if the equipment, or an installation, is determined to be noncompliant the operator may not be able to enter the airspace designated in 14 CFR 91.225 until the equipment or installation is brought into compliance.

AC 20-165 says this about baro encoding:

(1) Barometric Altitude. The ADS-B equipment must update the barometric altitude based on the real-time barometric altitude provided by the barometric altitude source.

But 91.227, 91.225, AC 20-165, and the TSO's and DO-260 doc's all say lots of other things too, so maybe I've missed where altitude via transponder transmission is allowed.

Also note that the FAA does in fact allow you to fail 3 baro alt transmissions before they consider you non-compliant. They aren't black and white. They have a non-zero threshold for every item on the compliance report. They are aware that the system is not perfect, but they have data from thousands of aircraft flying and know what looks normal and what doesn't.

--Ian @ Dynon

Last edited:
Sounds like the TransmonSPE may be a basis of this Balt failure incidence.

The Navworx ads600-exp is compatible with direct connection to an altitude encoder via rs232, but of course that would require a modern altitude encoder with rs232 output.

Strangely, in our other plane with the navworx ads600-exp, the Balt had a 0% failure rate. It is connected the same way as this one with a TransmonSPE.

Navworx 600EXP delivery

I just contacted Navworx and asked how long for delivery of a 600EXP if I order it today.

Replay was, Mid March

What are the chances that this is a true delivery date?

I just contacted Navworx and asked how long for delivery of a 600EXP if I order it today.

Replay was, Mid March

What are the chances that this is a true delivery date?

Short answer...who knows :)

In way of providing a non-answer answer...I talked to Bethany yesterday about the anticipated delivery of the EXP unit ordered back in August (#134 in que when EXP manufacturing started in ernest). She told me that I could expect delivery early to mid Feb. I did not think to ask what que #s they were currently delivering.

Bottom line...hopefully they have got the bugs out of the manufacturing process and can now predict consistent production rates in order to provide a semi accurate delivery time frame. YMMV.

Good luck.

I received a six-week delivery estimate

before I ordered on December 17, 2015 -- hoping it is somewhat accurate because I am getting ready to do some major panel work.

Ron

Just got the following from Bill...I know he must be as frustrated as some of us who are waiting to get the EXP unit. Glad he let us know of delay.

Larry

Hello,

You?re receiving this email because you have an outstanding order for an ADS600-EXP with us.

While we have cleared a significant amount of our backlog (> 65%), we have experienced a supplier issue which has stopped production until our new supplier can deliver parts. This part will be delivered at the end of February, when we will resume production for all remaining orders and begin shipping approximately March 10th.

I want to apologize for the delay and thank you for being so patient with us as we streamline our production process to meet the ever increasing demand for our ADS-B products.

Best Regards,

Bill Moffitt

Last edited:
NavWorx delivered !

On Feburary 2nd NavWorx EXP came out of the shadows and onto my front porch. ( after 9 months) Thanks, Bill Now installed and working...

Back