VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-20-2018, 01:50 PM

Default Firewall dimensions

I asked this question on the RV-7 specific forum and received "Height x Width" dimensions for the RV-7 firewall. Now I am interested to know what the dimensions are for the RV-6 and RV-8 models? Would the RV-6 be the same as the RV-7? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-20-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook11 View Post
I asked this question on the RV-7 specific forum and received "Height x Width" dimensions for the RV-7 firewall. Now I am interested to know what the dimensions are for the RV-6 and RV-8 models? Would the RV-6 be the same as the RV-7? Thanks in advance!
Don't know, but I believe the 6, 7 & 9(?) cowls are the same shape at the FW. We'll let that draw some comments.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 09-20-2018, 03:16 PM

8 is roughly 36" at it's widest, about 31.5 at the bottom corners & about 30 high.

6 & 7 should be close to the same dimensionally, 6 (ones I have worked with anyway) were a 3 piece assembly with the main center piece in stainless and the side two pieces in aluminum about 1.5" wide each. The 7 is a one piece panel.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook11 View Post
RV-7 drawings show the firewall as "F-601A-2 Firewall Bulkhead", so it looks to me it's a RV-6 part.
http://www.mykitlog.com/N741BN
Old 09-20-2018, 04:32 PM

Yeh, 7 plans show using the later 6 firewall panel.
Somewhere before 1999 Vans updated the firewall to the single piece F601A-2.
Prior to that the center F601A was stainless & the two outboard edge pieces F601B L & R were fabricated from 6061 T6 .062 stock. The full size paper plan sheet (with real dimensions) I have doesn't even have a date on it! The latest publish date on any of the other pages in this set is 1993...

I've been playing with these things much too long...