Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-20-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
If you are using a band saw to cut stiffeners you are wasting hours and hours of time. Stiffeners are easily cut with old fashioned tin snips. Do not use the short aviation style, the longer the blade the easier the job. A bandsaw will leave a rough edge that takes extra work to smooth. After a good cut with sharp tin snips a light touch of the scotch brute wheel is all it takes.
I like band saws, I have two of them, mainly for woodworking. They got little to no use on the 14.
Yeah, but a 6" notcher is even cleaner! Like butter.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....tail kit done, slow-build wing done, slow-build fuselage started.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
If you are using a band saw to cut stiffeners you are wasting hours and hours of time. Stiffeners are easily cut with old fashioned tin snips. Do not use the short aviation style, the longer the blade the easier the job. A bandsaw will leave a rough edge that takes extra work to smooth. After a good cut with sharp tin snips a light touch of the scotch brute wheel is all it takes.
I like band saws, I have two of them, mainly for woodworking. They got little to no use on the 14.
There is surely an element of personal preference in which tools one uses as there are multiple ways to complete many of the tasks.

I wonder if your experience with a band saw is related to the blade you have? My experience was different from yours: The cuts were very quickly executed and smooth. A run on the Scotch-Brite took of the burrs.

I went back into my time lapse video for the stiffeners, which I cut and deburred on 6-Oct-13. All 32 stiffeners were completed in less than an hour. I started at 1428 and completed before 1530.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:24 PM

I wanted a bandsaw that would be useful for other purposes as well -- but I still wouldn't use it that much. After giving up on a great old find from garage sales or craigslist, I've been pretty happy with a new Rikon "10 inch Bandsaw 10-305" that I picked up on sale for $199 ffrom Highland Woodworking: https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon10bandsaw.aspx

It's much higher, like $300-400, on Amazon, but a good number of reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Rikon-10-305-.../dp/B0032YZB2S

Now, I may have gotten lucky as mine was well within tolerances and easy to adjust. Some review are quite the opposite though. (And don't even bother with the included blade.)

That said, I probably didn't need it for the work I did on the kit...but I love tools, and its nice to have around.
-Rick Greer, VAF #2492

Last edited by DCat22 : 09-21-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:42 PM

I bought the same Rikon 10" bandsaw at Rick, and mine has been accurate as served me well during my RV-10 build. A bit more expensive than the benchtop band saws available at HomeDepot or Lowes, but also a much heavier, stiffer, higher accuracy saw.

Best of luck with your project.

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2018 VAF Dues Paid