- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Photos of RV-8 Access

Here are a couple of more photos to illustrate.

This is the panel after I opened everything up to do the GTX-345 install. I took care of some other items too so it was easiest just to open it all up. You can see the back side of the baggage compartment panel in the photo. Clearly I'll have to be careful cutting the access panel hole. I'll probably have to pull the panel again to get access / move things.

This is another shot of Andy Karmy's RV-8 that I found helpful (thanks Andy).

Finally, a shot of my panel when it's installed. The two center EFIS have to be removed from the back of the panel which is almost impossible with the panel fully installed.

RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through Jan 2019
Old 09-20-2018, 09:35 AM

I made mine while building. Use it quite often. I mounted my essential and main buss fuse blocks on the inside of the door. Pull one piano hinge and it folds forward and down easily exposing all connections.
Brownwood TX
Old 09-20-2018, 04:56 PM

Randy, in your original picture I note the luggage light switch is unprotected. Maybe think about putting a guard over it so it doesn't get knocked on in flight. Also, I don't see any loops to secure luggage from moving around.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 PM

Default Access Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
My RV-8 does not have an avionics access panel in the forward baggage compartment like I've seen in other RV-8s. Not having access to the back of the panel is frustrating. Even the most minor maintenance usually means pulling the entire panel.

I'd like to modify the airplane to include some sort of access panel.
Hey Randy,

Here is what I did. You really should consider just a rectangular door that would be probably the simplest type to install in a completed airplane. I am putting mine in during the build....hope it helps...

[IMG]comp_CIMG0724 by Robert Corriveau, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]comp_CIMG0725 by Robert Corriveau, on Flickr[/IMG]
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"
Old 09-21-2018, 07:47 AM

Bill,
Very funny.

Daddyman
Old 09-21-2018, 07:49 AM

Default AOA indicator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
I put an access panel in my first project (RV-8A), never used it. The new RV-8 project will not have one.

Considering a standard EFIS install, removing one or both displays provides a lot of access. It is also an easy task to set up the panel so it comes out and on the bench is just a few minutes.

Carl
Carl,
Are you planning on having an AOA indicator?

Just thinking.

Daddyman
Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyman View Post
Carl,
Are you planning on having an AOA indicator?

Just thinking.

Daddyman
Sure - this is included in the SkyView and it works quite well. While it does both, I find the audio AOA indication far more useful than the visual.

Carl
Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Default Found to be a great idea for me ...

Quote:
My RV-8 does not have an avionics access panel in the forward baggage compartment like I've seen in other RV-8s. Not having access to the back of the panel is frustrating. Even the most minor maintenance usually means pulling the entire panel.

I'd like to modify the airplane to include some sort of access panel. I've attached a photo. I realize a lot of builders do this during construction. I'm looking for advice on the feasibility of doing it on a finished airplane. Your thoughts and assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

I am not home so I cannot provide a picture but in the RV8, I have one and it has proven to be most valuable.

The plane has the large GRT HXr plus two MINIs but even with them removed the access panel is very valuable.

I think that mine was done from a "kit". (Bought the plane built and redid ALL avionics/wiring/switches) I have the high density fuse blocks mounted on the door so I can access any fuse via the baggage door.

Contact me offline and I will get you some photos and more info. "jclarkmail"
over there at the gmail place. :-)
APRS
Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Here are a couple of more photos to illustrate.

This is the panel after I opened everything up to do the GTX-345 install. I took care of some other items too so it was easiest just to open it all up. You can see the back side of the baggage compartment panel in the photo. Clearly I'll have to be careful cutting the access panel hole. I'll probably have to pull the panel again to get access / move things.

This is another shot of Andy Karmy's RV-8 that I found helpful (thanks Andy).

Finally, a shot of my panel when it's installed. The two center EFIS have to be removed from the back of the panel which is almost impossible with the panel fully installed.

This is still very doable. Take plenty of pictures, Make a drawing of where everything goes and mark it all as you take it apart. With a hinge or with out a hinge, whatever you like can, then be cut fitted to that bulkhead. I done't have any pictures to send you as I just take ours for granted. It is just a long cover with both top ends tapered at the upper corners, the stretches most all the way across and about two inches from the top and bottom edges and three or four inches from both sides. You can do it. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

P.S. I went out to the sand box today and thought of this post. Send me a PM and I think I have a couple of JPG's I can E-mail to you.

Last edited by Robert Anglin : 09-24-2018 at 08:48 AM.