What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SolidWorks

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
So, there I was, drinking my morning coffee reading Kit Planes. Eric Stewart has a nice article about rapid prototyping and CNC mold fabrication. About half way through, he mentions that EAA members can get a free student edition of SolidWorks! What, hold the phone! Wow, can it be?

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center

It is true! I've always done ok with autodesk products from work, but this is going to be a game changer for me.

Thanks Scott, that's a nice benefit!

(FYI, if you're not an EAA member, AutoDesk makes Fusion 360 free for students, hobbiests, and small businesses).

For anyone who has an interest in CAD, access to a 3D printer, and/or access to a CNC router, these software opportunities are a worthwhile endeavor. They are also a great bridge to the next generation!

I've always done ok with autodesk products from work, but this is going to be a game changer for me.
A year from now you're going to want to strangle every company that made you use AutoCAD products up until now, when SolidWorks was available instead.

That is quite a deal, if it is actually the full Standard version. That software goes for $4k+, and costs $1200/year to keep up to date (not forwards compatible...).

Solidworks

It's the student version but still very powerful. Solidworks is the default format for fasteners at McMaster Carr. I'm printing a bolt right now that was imported to solidworks directly from McMaster Carr using Gizmo Dork PLA filament, the cheap stuff. At McMaster Carr product description, it's only two clicks away from importing directly to Solidworks. I am working my slow way along, printing square extruded square shells to calibrate setting for different filaments. The accuracy is amazing. A printed 20mm extruded square measures 20.03 - 20.10mm all sides on the first pass. The ColorFabb filament is beginning to be my favorite but I only have limited experience. My daughter printed a couple six inch snowflakes from bronze clear Proto-Pasta and they are nice.

DSCN0637_zps3dseebt5.jpg

Last edited:
Brian Carpenter of Rainbow Aviation has some stuff online about using SolidWorks which he employs in the design of his electric motor glider. Mentioned it in a recent EAA webinar on the EMG.

The Solidworks deal has been around for a little bit now. It's awesome.

There is a version of Mathmatica that comes with the Raspberry PI computer (about $35). I love the little PI.

Bob

printed bolt thread high-res xsection

I think I can improve this slightly. not too bad for a simple home printing unit with cheap filament.

IMG_1480%20copy_zpsuoqkyhrf.jpg

Last edited:
Just to followup, it has come to my attention that Tool Path Generation may be disabled in this Student version... I haven't dug into it enough yet to confirm, but that would be a major bummer, although there are other ways to generate tool paths, just not quite as point and click.

Just to followup, it has come to my attention that Tool Path Generation may be disabled in this Student version....

If you are looking to drive a CNC router / cutter and SolidWorks doesn't have what you need, it's not a problem with Fusion 360.

Just to followup, it has come to my attention that Tool Path Generation may be disabled in this Student version... I haven't dug into it enough yet to confirm, but that would be a major bummer, although there are other ways to generate tool paths, just not quite as point and click.

This is where I think fusion 360 has the lead. All of the CAM is included in the 'free' version.

yes, TAZ6, using Simpify3D for gcode generator

need to chase the threads on the this one but would be workable. 20% in-fill and 3 perimeter layers,will try it with 30% in-fill and 6 perimeter layers. needs to be nylon matl.

DSCN0650_zpsge7bb3qz.jpg

DSCN0652_zpsxewnrv92.jpg

Last edited:
yes, TAZ6, using Simpify3D for gcode generator

need to chase the threads on the this one but would be workable. ... needs to be nylon material.

The TAZ does wonderfully with nylon (and nylon can take an extreme amount of abuse)

Different materials - and thus different material settings - will have noticably different results. ABS, nylon, HIPS, PLA, etc will give differing positive and negative effects.

When dealing with blob issues, the obvious recommendations are cooling fan settings and print speed. One change that has helped me is to rotate the orientation of the object on the print bed to be something other than 90 degrees. (all just thoughts and YMMV).

Last edited:
what about the dual extruder with soluble support for low support areas such as the top portion of the side threads in this block.

I have been digging into this thing. Solidworks is very capable software but taking me a while to get the hang of it.:(

In the early days of ProE it had a hard time handling sheet metal as most of the material had to be removed resulting in the files becoming huge, and a limiting factor. Pro Sheet metal was the result, more$$. For making a solid model of a cabin structure for the purpose of planning the physical locations of all the avionics components, how does Solidworks (this available version) handle this? Has anyone used it for this?

@BillL, i've modelled the panel for my tip-up in Solidworks. Sheet metal isn't very hard at all in SW. Like most things SW does, it works a lot like it would if you were actually fabricating the part in the real world. Start with a solid, drill holes, machine bits away. For Sheet metal, start with a sheet, punch some holes, put bends where you want them.

It's possible to design something in sheet metal in 3D and then "flatten" it using Solidworks, but i've only had limited success with that beyond simple boxes.

@BillL, i've modelled the panel for my tip-up in Solidworks. Sheet metal isn't very hard at all in SW. Like most things SW does, it works a lot like it would if you were actually fabricating the part in the real world. Start with a solid, drill holes, machine bits away. For Sheet metal, start with a sheet, punch some holes, put bends where you want them.

It's possible to design something in sheet metal in 3D and then "flatten" it using Solidworks, but i've only had limited success with that beyond simple boxes.

Thanks Rob, once my bird flies I will need something to do when grounded during the winter. I'll put this on my list. Maybe it will get some attention after the long growing honey-do list is hacked back.

I have an earlier version thought I might update, however, during the instal I noticed that the software is only good for one year. Decided to stay with my older permenant version

Solids works is incredibly capable software. I use daily for work (Mechanical engineer). Beside learning the basics, new users to CAD have to get used to the idea of parametric modeling where you place dimensions on key places during the drawing process. If done correctly it makes implimenting changes very easy. For instance I you draw a up an instrument panel and want to change the height after, you can modify simply change that dimension and all the features (instrument cutouts, holes, etc) will adapt correctly.

Solidworks has such a large community that typically google searching any problem will bring up a solution quickly. The hardest part is finding the right words.

Below is a rendering of my XFS glass cockpit panel upgrade I designed in Solidworks.
aT_87VR5iqfldxD5NfBc4ms06T0kzBZwUlRb2rHNGNd90da3aHmXd0HOCGquFRj4XgTRVnKheIj78__0A4aene4xlgwCJbfxoPXQ-CVv1wP91eZK7AjmEptjgkgMz-FpU3CaepoN9rWNXmH9a5ixZtiR3vaXmGzfrTbzgwLD5SiwsnKBI0ndnKo7KsZBGX8GCPsGJSDWdrw9BzBc2sC5TLzH4cBn5ZDuzZw1EHoqbpOsJTSu5mHTbmNxsNfFXfOdwdnTn8GAqRGc1sVCSp3ttoN6SRUWmS4Une90uY2HAewXGMRSO6LH1r7Qbg2vN5rk7YMzbPeD2eTWHHRcoVge2CjW5AqlZZPZZq-6keQjHukjDObr49-9WKIlxzOxsvOYEP_e5Xh3XJ3KNiZ9EtoXHjS3t5avuA3P0n_I9qK9fPuKV127QVlhc6rkRH5qWSbdQyiFBDBL7d_cXP5vSNSaX7UJLDPuRtgOH_6C8EtYRZV9yu-bfmTBb1zZOys4wOwPNHueINn0M6gPh-qIxvtPzh-yyUewU_0HmLIRdzEpIzoc2vl0TewLD227_xYETyKQKCFYeFsaKER2db9oPET6m81VzSw0M5o1xRDzEMPj2iFnB4bo=w992-h794-no

Pic of how the panel turned out. (bad picture)
IhpTkcC6BOpYoMNEGczfrtXj9pwh6J_QAke269tDiQLUrOt5x8V4bwJjOuUx3wGwCZZ3awlVAFQziFbt4C4fRHFWkEbw3uAj1EKTWsMEqgW28hbe5lXxPi1ak4lK9yt5dX5hlpKruQTL-dICWWlYAW6JIN7UMBpniADYxvGuXPtwOoZXlOwxDYIf4pKkQLHpuI10IcaGn0HWYQipHY4dIzxcdbsWa5vN0j8ML5a-GffELrB1GpmgTb-fdYv2ndEoCPhS4rf_XQ7HdqZuxSb8LsM0dGsT0D5s03bRqEBl4BsmDjXpfPefy9kt_iZR0BrFNeEAh6Gf3KUlxeepdBBSeNmSpptlsecl5jlMMut-0OdcevnQbeFrmMkxUt6sME_7vfIpIMmmP6wf06e5L4RAGts7n5BZ6_pwTev1tWnGd376D3otYzsNfSndrUDqn-uXFKX-vO59-uaHencycgC92KG63VT4DxjC6-IdLJhR2N8-XqmHtvONnx1a9ZfwS0YD7wx0__1xnnFa7zmUdDeE8cEJxyK3s2w2Az4YNVznM98aUwW7hrIkHoICkzpGewOr4Nc-ds9VCAaXv0cZoVRTlAGw4ShtyphJ7-por00HDVT7YvlK=w1202-h901-no

Is there any type of interactive webinar workshop that I could attend (paid or free) that would cover the basics in say 3 hrs or so or would it be best to just keep watching the tutorial YouTube publications?

Downloaded Solidworks right after OSH. I had attended a forum announcing the EAA/Solidworks partnership held in the experimental aircraft building and wanted to give it a try. Sounds like a great program getting software companies to recognize EAA as a "learning" organization and therefore give members student discounts or free use. Maybe get some more engineering software companies to do the same.

I have over 60,000 hours designing in Unigraphics (now called NX) but had a hard time getting going in Solidworks. Maybe getting to old to learn new tricks.
Will try playing again when the winter weather rolls in and work slows down. Pretty sure it will not be too hard.

Downloading SolidWorks

I tried downloading SolidWorks tonight without any luck. I thought I got through all of the steps:

1) Signed in through EAA website.
2) Entered data included in my email from SolidWorks onto their website.
3) Ran SolidWorks setup which brought me to their download page.

The first page of the SolidWorks download page asks for a Serial Number which I didn't have so I clicked through the page and ended up downloading all of the ancillary SolidWorks programs that don't require a Serial Number.

Of course, my question now is: How do I download the actual SolidWorks educational program? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

What are the chances that DS will discontinue Solid Works for EAA in the future?

They way I read it we are getting a student version that is good for 1 year.

I am hoping they will keep renewing this every year but my concern is if it is discontinued that all the effort I am putting into learing to use it would be lost as I do not have a justifiable reason to purchase the full blown versions.

Last edited:
What are the chances that BS will discontinue Solid Works for EAA in the future?

They way I read it we are getting a student version that is good for 1 year.

I am hoping they will keep renewing this every year but my concern is if it is discontinued that all the effort I am putting into learing to use it would be lost as I do not have a justifiable reason to purchase the full blown versions.

DS are masters at achieving a perfect balance between irritating their customers so much they leave vs delivering a useful product people will pay $4K initially + $1.3K per year for... Time will tell what they'll do. They have a very good product and they know it!

Regarding learning to use it, I've got thousands of hours of time on SW over the last 15 or so years, but I still feel I don't know 1/3 of what it can do. It is a very capable program, but a ton of patience is needed to learn even the basics of it. The non backwards compatibility of files is right up there on the irritation scale, especially for someone who works with numerous clients (who have different versions...) as I do.

DS are masters at achieving a perfect balance between irritating their customers so much they leave vs delivering a useful product people will pay $4K initially + $1.3K per year for... Time will tell what they'll do. They have a very good product and they know it!

Regarding learning to use it, I've got thousands of hours of time on SW over the last 15 or so years, but I still feel I don't know 1/3 of what it can do. It is a very capable program, but a ton of patience is needed to learn even the basics of it. The non backwards compatibility of files is right up there on the irritation scale, especially for someone who works with numerous clients (who have different versions...) as I do.

Thanks Alex,

I will keep this useful information handy as I roll along....

I was impressed with the EAA webinar on SolidWorks.

That said, I have been using AutoDesk Fusion 360 for a little over a year now. My reason for choosing AutoDesk is (1) it's free for students, hobbyists, and startups up to $100,000 in business. That means there are not different versions. (2) Their feature release cycle is crazy fast. New features and bug fixes appear monthly. (3) The online support and educational / tutorial materials are coming from both the broad community *and* from AutoDesk staff.

I use CAD for both 3D printers and CNC lathe cutters.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Back