What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bonehead admission...

kaweeka

Well Known Member
I've spent the past 4 months, one day a week as workload allows, replacing the panel of my -9A with an all Garmin setup. I'm finally getting to the end where I should be ready to fly next week or thereabouts. My electric trim runs from an Infinity grip to Pat Hatch's fantastic relay board (shameless plug but, really a great product) through the GSA 28 and out to the Ray Allen trim motor.When hooked up, the trim CB would pop. I spent close to 16 hours tracing, toning, re-pinning and scratching my head as to the reason. Bad hat switch in the grip? Bad relay board, bad GSA 28, bad ground? Bad brain?? After ruminating, waking up at 0230 on way too many mornings thinking about what went wrong as everything tested out, I had a light bulb moment when I was removing the roll servo to test it against the pitch servo. There was this little adapter on the end of the harness plugged into both servos. It says "FOR USE WITH GSA 28" so naturally I kept it on the plug for the servos. For anyone installing the servos.... TAKE THEM OFF!!!!" They are only to be used when the servo is to be bypassed or missing. As the install manual says:

The GSA 28 connector kit is shipped with a GSA 28 removal adapter (011-03158-00). This part is not intended to be installed with the GSA 28, but is used to replace the GSA 28 when the harness connector is un-plugged. The removal adapter contains an internal 120 Ohm resistor between pins 2 and 3 for CAN termination. It also contains shorts between pins 11 & 13 and 12 & 14 to pass through power for trim motors. The intention of this component is to allow operation of the CAN bus and trim motors when the servos are not plugged into the harness. It is recommended that a removal adapter is kept with each servo installation, in case the GSA 28 needs to be removed without losing functionality of the CAN bus and trim motors.

Sooooooo, I learned something this weekend. I thought I read the manual but, obviously with so much information, one cannot possibly remember everything but I should have referred back when everything was seeming normal. I thought I would pass this along as I'm sure someone else will end up in this situation wondering what is wrong.
Best,
David Goldfarb

Plastic cap

I'm glad you got it figured out. Those issues can be frustrating!

When looking at the 011-03158-00 components that came with my G3X kit, there were plastic caps pressed into the back side of these parts. This would have kept the adapter from being able to be used in the harness without prying those caps out. Were the black caps present in the parts you got?

Back