What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio intercom puzzle

Hotscam

Well Known Member
I have to order the avionics kit in a few weeks for the new 12 I am building now.
Looking at the order forms there is a huge price difference between the US and European version and I cannot work out why. $ 1925 more !!!

We need the 8.33 channel spacing in a year so we need the garmin GTR225.
It seems to have a less quality integrated intercom so VANs sells this with a seperate PM3000 intercom.

Now for the puzzle.

The 200 sells at $1199 and the 225 at $ 1195 at Aircraft Spruce, so hardly dufferent.
The PM3000 is offered at 420 and assume an additional harness fot $ 80

Where did the other $ 1425 go to ??

Anybody have a clue ?

That one expensive sticker!

The GTR 225A is the version with the 8.33 khz spacing. It is $2585 at spruce. The price difference goes to pay for a really expensive sticker, the TSO tag :D

Last edited:
In your link you can also see the 200 in the right for 1199 which is the exoerimental version, which I suppose we need.

Van's supplies the GTR 225A

Jack,

The RV-12 European avionics kit should come with the GTR 225A.

There are three versions of the GTR 225 with several different price points: GTR 225, 225A, and 225B.

The GTR 225, 225A, and 225B are all certified radios.

The GTR 225 is a 10 Watt radio and has 25kHz spacing.

The GTR 225A is a 10W radio with optional 8.33kHz spacing.

The GTR 225B is a 16W radio with optional 8.33khz spacing.

Van's RV-12 avionics order form just states "GTR 225", but it must be a GTR 225A to have the 8.33kHz spacing. A quick call to Van's would confirm that and would explain the price difference.

This brochure from the Garmin website contains all of the GTR 225 information:
http://www8.garmin.com/aviation/brochures/GTR_225_spec.pdf

Best of luck to you!
-Levi

Thats good information, but still does nit explain the big price difference.
The additonal cost for the 225a above the 200 and the PM3000 account for about $ 1200, so still missing some 700 bucks.
I have put this question to VANs

TSO

are you required to have TSO'd radios to operate in Europe? In the US, experimental aircraft don't require that certification. It makes a big difference in the price (though I suspect the radio itself is probably identical)

Gordon Turner

Non TSO is accepted but Garmin has no other choice.
I have an 8.33 kHz ICOM 210 in my other RV12 which is fine but does not communicate to Skyview.
Also the flightcom intercom is poor and always noisy

Back