What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL39

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I would like to hear from anyone using this unit I have used the Garmim pilot on my Galaxy Tab tablet and would like to get traffic information. The GDL39 seems like a good fairly economical solution.

I have a 430W and a 496, the 496 only supports 8 traffic returns so I see the tablet as the main display but would wire the 496 if I would not loose the cross flight plan from the 430W.

Please post a review of the GDL39 with a tablet computer.

Also if anyone has any intell, would a guy concidering an ADS-B capability and going to SnF be better off to delay a purchase!

Thanks for the inputs.

GDL 39

I have my GDL39 hardwired to a Garmin 560 and bluetoothed to a Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Garmin pilot. I have encountered no problems at all using the Galaxy tab 10.1. Flying round the Dallas and Houston class B areas it shows a lot more traffic than I can see. I use a Zaon MRX for traffic that is not ADSB equipped. Not sure on the weather though as it's always sunny down here in Texas when I go flying!!

Tab 7.0 Plus

I am running a GDL 39 and a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. Nice combo! I love the smaller form factor and the recent upgrades have made Garmin Pilot a nice platform for planning, traffic and WX.

No wires in the cockpit is nice, too.

Send me a PM or email if you would like to discuss live on the phone.

I've been considering getting one for my Ipad, but I do most of my flying in central & southeast kansas, and northeast oklahoma. Which acording to the maps on the FAA site, this region is a big dead spot as far as towers go.
I've searched for updated ADS-B tower maps, but I cant find anything that has been updated in a few years. And I cant find anyone who can tell me the distance and altitude range to pick up good reception.

GDL 39 Performance

I tried out a GDL 39 connected to an iPad in Fort Scott (Southeast), KS, which is maybe 80 miles or so from independence. I found that at just over 3000 feet MSL, I was getting reception from a tower in the KC area and another tower down in Oklahoma. I was quite surprised to pick up two towers at that altitude at that location. This was with the GDL 39 on the glareshield of a Piper Tri-Pacer. You may want to see if you can find someone with one to try. You may be surprised.
-Levi

Back