What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spray foam hangar insulation

Vansconvert

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a hangar insulated with spray foam insulation? If so, would you please share some details.
Thanks

Last edited:
My neighbors is..

I have my RV-4 in a connected row of 30'X45' rectangular non-insulated metal hangars and the one next to me was spray foam coated about 15 years ago. Every square inch of metal, wood and the inside of the doors has about 2" of sprayed foam on it, and I can say it makes a significant difference in both summer and winter. If I recall, the guy who had it done (not with us anymore), spent around 3-4 K to have it sprayed. It looks a bit odd, but is very effective.

Foam

We had it in our hangar in northern Wisconsin. It does make a difference. That being said, it will cover any wiring, conduit, metal, wood, basically anything... Once covered, access in difficult, if not impossible. It also is not a smooth surface, putting any kind of sheet goods over it can be problematic. There are definitely pros and cons to it...

Just finished construction of 50 x 50 with Higher Power 46 x 16 door. After a lot of research I will be having it all spray foamed with closed cell next Monday. All Electrical was completed with conduit ran anywhere possibility of new wire needing pulled in the future. After the closed cell (1? thick) the framing of interior walls will be done with stick framing, and exterior walls will be filled with open cell foam. As a side benefit the closed cell is reported to make the shell of the building even stronger. Local costs of closed cell is running about $1.20 sq. ft. not including costs to paint the foam with acrylic latex.

I will try to update with pictures, and thoughts of the process.

Seals up hangar

45 X 40 X 16 uninsulated pole barn hangar built in mid 70's, leaked like a sieve, foam sealed up the hangar as well as providing insulation, hangar also does not seem to be as noisy on windy days (every day here in Oklahoma;) ) cost $4K which was about the cost to put in blanket insulation. Seems to work well but does cover absolutely everything as noted above. I also had the roof sealed as well.
Figs

I had my shop done. The guy doing it masked off the doors, windows and also the girt, which I wanted to use as a horizontal shelf. Everything they mask off, though, conducts the outside metal wall temp inside very efficiently. The foam needs to be painted with latex for the local fire code and the white I chose brightens everything up nicely. You can choose the foam thickness and check afterwards by sticking a small drill bit or pick into it in various locations.
Like everything else, you get used to the look.

Jerald
SE Arizona

It helps tremendously to take photos of the interior before the foam is applied. This will aid in locating wiring, plumbing, etc. when future work is needed.

We did ours and it?s great. Only bad part is you can?t leave most of the foams natural due to fire codes. You either have to paint it with a special paint or cover it with a fire barrier which can be a layer of corrugated metal or drywall.

Never do it at my airport

There were hangars that had the spray foam at our airport. Since our airport has been involved in several major floods due to it being only a couple hundred yards from the Missouri River. In the 93 flood with 14 ft of water covering the airport, the hangars with the spray foam insulation had their footings sucked out of the ground and they floated around the airport banging into other hangars. If you have no danger of flooding, then I may consider spray foam.

Great investment

Had my 43x32 metal hangar foamed with 1 1/2" closed cell foam and painted using white acrylic latex 2 wks ago. World of difference! Yesterday worked on hanging LED work lights from 12:00-3:00 and kept the doors closed because it was cooler inside than outside; it was still hot (100+ in north TX). Hangar stays a lot cleaner with no wind and dust blowing through. Also sealed my roof from the inside out. I'll get every penny back when/if I sell it. Once my piggy bank recovers I'll be getting an evaporative cooler.

Take a look on YouTube people are tearing this stuff out due to health effects. As a builder I never allowed it in my new construction homes and glad I didn?t, people are cutting roofs off to get it out. If applied to thick it can cause major health issues. Very hard to remove.

This goes in the category with fiberglass heating duct work just a bad idea. That stuff they used to try to sell me you could run a full knife down it and watch the fiberglass particles fly into the air, imagine what it does inside a ventilation system for a house over time. Fiberglass stays in your lungs.

Just one example https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hh5MYv7lWc

Back