What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 8/8A project!

DAR coming on the 10th
47223207wc6.jpg

By cdwambolt, shot with KODAK DX7440 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2009-01-31

That is one good looking plane :eek: Can you post more pics?

Joe, my guess is the Show Planes cowling.

Look at the size of the spinner, and the straight line of the cowl top.

IIRC, the SP cowl is set up for a 15" spinner. And a 4 cyl engine needs a prop spacer-------the crank flange is not visible in the photo either.

Yes, it is the Showplanes cowl, and it does require a 2.5" spacer for a 4 cyl. We have an MT and they actually build the hub to your spec up to 6" longer, so not a third party spacer, but a custom hub. No extra charge from MT BTW. The canopy is from Todds canopies, I think he called the tint "titanium". The plane was painted by Drew Brothers Customs, a muscle car/ hot rod shop here in Chandler, AZ. I will post more pix when I have time to take some better ones. There is a shot of the panel in "show us your panels" and an artist rendering in the Poster Child thread. Oh yeah, there is a rollbar with the Showplanes kit, not installed in these pics. Thanks for the positive comments, we really are proud of her, the pics don't do her justice!

Yes, I was thinking SP cowl based on that HUGE hole in the front :)

Charlie, as far as the canopy goes, did you have any trouble/extra work fitting it to the SP frame? I say extra because I know there is a bit of work involved. But, and it may just be the pics, but the "bubble" looks higher/larger than the stock canopy. I've been thinking about Todd's and different tints lately, so thanks for the hints!

Joe

You have a keen eye. Todd was experimenting with a different profile to lengthen the nose of the canopy a bit for improved aerodynamics for RV8's and it resulted in what you see here. The showplanes kit uses the standard bubble with the back cut off. The high point of the bubble isn't any higher (had a stock canopy originally--had a little accident and got to redo it), but it is forward of the stock profile, which I like because now the highest point is right above my head, whereas the stock ones highest point was midway between the front and rear seats, which didn't benefit anyone. It definitely has a unique look, but I like it. I'm sure Todd can make it for you if you like.

HA! Keen eye or obsessive, compulsive internet research? I'll let you decide:D:eek:

I'm pretty tall, so I like the idea of the high point over my head, but I have to ask, does the SP roll bar have to be modified so as not to touch?

Also, I assume the bottom flange is similar to Van's since it still meets the basic opening of an RV-8...so no problems fitting the SP fiberglass frame?

Joe

roll bar

Joe, the rollbar is cut long so you have to measure and fit after the bubble is in place, It welds to the stock cross brace.

RV8A

Well it happened again. Yet another RV8A has been deemed worthy of flight by the FAA on 2/27/2009. Kit 80304 took almost 12 years of building but was completed by the original builder, myself. Slow build kit and I painted it myself.

1,060 lbs empty weight
Day/Night VFR
Sensenich Fixed Pitch Prop
O360-A1A
Dynon D180
Garmin GTX 327
ICOM -210

First flight will be a while yet as I prepare for the event.

I used a lot of information from this forum so thanks to all in helping get it completed.

Way to Go, Claudio!

12 years of perseverance and and did it all yourself. Please accept my compliments.

[quote

Well it happened again. Yet another RV8A has been deemed worthy of flight by the FAA on 2/27/2009. Kit 80304 took almost 12 years of building but was completed by the original builder, myself. Slow build kit and I painted it myself.

1,060 lbs empty weight
Day/Night VFR
Sensenich Fixed Pitch Prop
O360-A1A
Dynon D180
Garmin GTX 327
ICOM -210

First flight will be a while yet as I prepare for the event.

I used a lot of information from this forum so thanks to all in helping get it completed.[/quote]

12 years!! WOW. You do have perseverance. Congrats. You really going to enjoy that bird!!

Finally sat in it!

So I finally sat in the -8 project this weekend!

Having fabricated the fron seat back (that I won't need in the end) and plotted my current thinking for my panel, I taped the panel plot to the instument panel blank, set it in position, threw in a couple of the kids old pillows and climbed in!

No, I didn't make any engine noises, but I will admit to looking down out of the cockpit while I watched the river meander through the mountain valley past several small towns! I even spotted a couple of eagles soaring beneath me!

Guess I sat in there longer than I'd care to admit!

Inspected!

Well, about 3 weeks later than planned (my fault, not his), the DAR came by and issued our pink slip. First time I've ever been glad to see one of those. First flight soon, video and pix will follow. My schedule isn't great right now so it'll either be the end of this week or in about 10 days AAARGH!

Emp Kit

I started my emp kit in October of 2006. It has been fun with some mistakes and quite a few other projects happening at the same time. I have also had a job change for the better and am close to ordering a wing kit. I am building the RV-8 slow build...In my case extreme slow build. I would like to post some pictures but haven't taken the time to figure out how.. I absolutely love this site and think that it is a great place to get info and ideas... I helped my father build an RV-4 in the mid 80's and couldn't wait to build my own. He comes up to visit and we usually end up in the garage working on something that has to do with the airplane...As soon as I figure out how to post some photos I will..

Ram air ...

Hey Dan,

That looks very cool ... would look great on my -8FB also :D

Do you create this yourself, or is it commercially available?

Cheers,

Matt

Cowl & Plenum

Dan,

Which cowl are you using? It looks like you're installing a plenum--did you build your own, or is that a Sam James (or other prefab)?

Thanks!

Modified Van's cowl. Yes, that's the start of a plenum lid on top of the engine.....more homemade stuff ;)

Ram Air ...

Thanks Dan ... sighted the write - excellent !!!

Just a final question ... how are you planning to mount the part to the cowl - bonding or fastening?

Cheers,

Matt

Matt, it has since been cut into two pieces, intake and exhaust. They got a joggle between them. The intake gets 1/4 turns, the exhaust ramp gets screws and nutplates.

Last edited:
Ram Air ...

Thanks Dan ... be sure to post some pics when finished :p

... or you could email direct if you prefer.

Cheers,

Matt

Nice work Dan! An inspiration to continue rivetting!

I have not long completed my flaps and ailerons. I couldn't resist lining them up and imagining. Now I'm de-burring and fluting wing ribs - How many...? :eek:

n540947803_1697926_5839391.jpg

Seats!!

I know, I didn't actuall build them, but I just had to show them to someone!! These came from Classic Aero. They did a beautiful job!:D:D

Gives the illusion that I'm further along than I am though!

By veetail88

And boots too!

By veetail88

Aviator

The seats are the Aviator style.

Seem pretty comfortable, but I'll let you know for sure in a year or so when I can actually fly in them!! :p

They're Hooker Harnesses that I bought through Classic Aero as well.

They asked what colors I was looking for and they sent samples of the leathers for the seats and the webbing and trim materials for the harnesses to choose from.

Great folks to deal with!:)

The miracles the Quick-Builders miss out on!

I threw the wing skins on my skeleton over the weekend and was astounded/pleased/gobsmacked/<insert adjective here> at the accuracy of the construction. All of the holes had light shining through them! With all the skins on and plumb-lines installed, I cannot measure any washout with a 0.5mm graduated ruler. I'm well impressed!

3117_74188267803_540947803_1806540_4284059_n.jpg

OK, so I just threw the wing skins at the skeleton and tossed a few clecos after them and this is what I get:

3117_74229812803_540947803_1807003_3927284_n.jpg

3117_74229822803_540947803_1807004_8231499_n.jpg

Amazing stuff, this CNC punching!

Seats and Miracles

Jesse. My seats and harnesses are due any day now and I concur that Classic Aero are great people to deal with - great comms and want things to be spot on - can't wait for mine - yours look great!

Andy. I too continue to be amazed. I've just clecod my fuselage together and it was pretty effortless. The build manual has this quote for longeron bending "if you cannot get the angle to change .. get a bigger hammer", "then give it a moderate whack" and "whack it in the direction to remove the unwanted bend". Despite this agricultarual, right up my street, engineering my longerons fitted within 1/32" - am I pleased that I chose a Vans to build! The only downside that the QB boys avoid a lot is deburing but I can live with that - just!

Bob Ellis
www.rv-8.co.uk

Kind of ironic, that the ShowPlanes FastBack kit has some significant modification to the top/forward portion of the fuse. Here are two pics of my latest progress, cutting/modifying the forward top skin for the new cockpit rails and fiberglass glareshield.

In the second pic, you can see, along the upper longeron line, where the skin actually starts, and how much was cut from the original plan.

Joe

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_bTi63SLV1tI/Sgd_mJ2lQII/AAAAAAAAARI/7e6NuTJ_Pos/s800/P5100038.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_bTi63SLV1tI/Sgd_mRzEp-I/AAAAAAAAARM/dQWhSv-QWcg/s800/P5100037.JPG

Last edited:
What goes in place of that skin? Where do the inst. and radios go, it doesn't look like they will fit. Or is the top of the panel open when you open the canopy?

Neat pictures

The instrument panel goes in the same place. The 'gap' between the panel and the aft edge of the skin is covered by a removable fiberglass glareshield. It's held in with screws, and can be removed to access the back of the panel.

The canopy is a tip over, and front flange comes down on top of and completely covers the fiberglass galreshield as well.

Joe

Last edited:
Show planes mod ...

Joe,

Although i'm some time off this stage ... what process did you use to get the smooth clean lines to cut the sheet where the glare shield is located?

cheers,

Matt

Hey Matt--

There is a re-inforcement strip under the cut...that is what is clecoed along the cut in the pics...flush with the finished edge

The kit has some pretty extensive dimensions I used to lay out the cut. Then I clamped and used the re-inforcement strip to draw a line--as per the kit instructions. A Dremel cut-off did a nice job just shy of the line.

Funny thing is, I was whining to my wife about the terrible job I did of sanding/scotchbriting the rest of it away to the line. It's got a little scallop here and there. Guess the pics don't show that :eek:

I was never gonna win any awards anyway;)

Joe

I'll start a new thread with details later, after I wrap up the plenum, baffle, and cowl work. For now, just a teaser ;)

Anybody for flexible fiberglass-reinforced urethane rubber plenum ducts, with integral foam rubber cowl seal?

Back