What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van?s Aircraft to Build SLSA RV-12iS and RV-12iST at Oregon Headquarters

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We've announced an operational change to our SLSA program today, and wanted to make sure everyone here has the information, of course. This is an exciting and positive move for all involved.

Van?s Aircraft Expands Operations to Build the SLSA RV-12iS and RV-12iST

August 31, 2018 (Aurora, OR) ? Over the years, Van?s Aircraft has endeavored to expand and refine our manufacturing processes and capabilities. We do this to enhance our product line, thereby providing our customers increased value.

In keeping with our desire to deliver the best quality at a reasonable price, Van?s Aircraft is excited to announce that it is establishing its own aircraft assembly facility and team at its company headquarters in Aurora, Oregon. Future RV-12iS and RV-12-iST SLSA aircraft models will be assembled and delivered at this new facility.

Synergy Air has been Van?s assembly partner since the launch of the RV-12 SLSA program and has done a tremendous job for Van?s and our customers. As Synergy Air continues its expansion into and emphasis on the builder-assist arena, we are excited to continue to work together to create opportunities that will expand the RV fleet and the Van?s Aircraft family.

Note: Please direct inquiries to Greg Hughes, Director Media and Marketing, Van?s Aircraft ? [email protected].

- - - - -​

Van?s Aircraft has announced that it will be producing the RV12iS family of SLSA airplanes at its factory facility going forward. We are excited about what this means for everyone involved. We thought it would be good to explain a bit of the history of our SLSA program as well as where we?re heading in the future.

Several years ago, Van?s set out to implement a comprehensive SLSA program for the purpose of delivering the RV-12 as a ready-to-fly, certified light-sport aircraft that can be used by individuals and flights schools. Over the last year that program has grown to include the next-generation SLSA RV-12iS and, most recently, the RV-12iST trainer aircraft. Synergy Air and Van?s Aircraft originally partnered to implement the various components necessary to run and deliver a complete SLSA program: design, manufacturing, a comprehensive safety program in conjunction with the FAA, technical support, marketing and aircraft assembly/build. Synergy Air worked with Van?s from the onset of its program to apply expertise related to the marketing and aircraft assembly portions of the program.

The natural evolution and success of both businesses has brought us to where we are today: Synergy has become even more focused on the important business of assisting Van?s Aircraft?s customers in building their own RV airplanes. As the RV-12 SLSA program has matured, Van?s has expanded its workforce and capabilities to include marketing and production aircraft construction, and has developed improved processes and technologies to enable us to operate with greater efficiencies and agility. This move represents the next logical step in the business growth of each of our companies, enabling both to best focus and deliver in their respective areas of strength while best positioning our collaborative business relationship for the future.

Importantly, this change is the result of mutual successes and represents a natural and positive evolution of both businesses that enables both companies to deliver even more -- both in partnership and individually. Just as it makes sense for Van's to take on SLSA assembly work at this time, it also makes sense for Synergy to focus on its growing and key business: Builder-assist services for people who are building their RVs. In fact, Synergy is growing and recently expanded beyond its Eugene, Oregon facility when it opened a second builder-assist center in Georgia. These changes are great for Van's Aircraft, great for Synergy Air, and good news for our mutual customers.

Customer Support

All SLSA aircraft have been and will continue to be fully-supported by Van?s Aircraft. That will not change. Van?s technical and business support teams remain ready to support every customer that flies our airplanes. The Van?s support team serves as your single point of initial contact for any support needs you may have related to the RV-12.

As in the past, you may contact Van?s Aircraft via phone at (503) 678-6545 or you can email our dedicated SLSA support mailbox at [email protected].

Delivery Schedules

Note that we do not anticipate schedule delays as a result of the change in production staffing and location. Any RV-12iS currently in production with Synergy will be finished at Synergy?s Eugene facility. Any aircraft not yet started will be completed at and by Van's Aircraft. Van's anticipates delivering aircraft that are already on the schedule on or before the estimated delivery dates we?ve previously communicated to individual customers.

As part of this change, Van's is staffing a dedicated SLSA build team, which is co-located at our Oregon factory in a new, dedicated work space. The design of this team and program will allow us to increase throughput and enable even quicker delivery of RV-12iS SLSA aircraft. Van's will leverage its existing people, experience and processes to optimize our ability to deliver more efficiently.

About Van's Aircraft

Headquartered in Aurora, Oregon, Van's Aircraft is the largest manufacturer of airplane kits in the world, with more than 10,000 flying examples. For more information on Van?s Aircraft, Inc. and the most successful line of kit aircraft in aviation history, visit the Van?s Aircraft web site at http://www.vansaircraft.com, and for more information about the RV-12iS aircraft, visit http://www.flyrv12.com.

So what's the difference with the trainer?

The RV-12iST is a trainer configuration of the RV-12iS, which is focused on what flight schools have asked for: Minimal and durable interior, beefy brakes, extra tough landing gear, ability to do IFR training, and a variety of other accouterments that pertain specifically to flight school and students (and we recognize these options also apply to individuals based on mission and wish-lists, of course).

The most notable differences in our demonstrator RV-12iST (N317VA) are the GTN 650 IFR navigator, full-featured audio panel, a push-to-talk switch for the instructor's side located on the panel so the CFI doesn't have to touch the stick while the student is flying, the heavy duty brakes plus some even heavier-duty (than original) landing gear attachment hardware since that's the parts of the aircraft students tend to be hardest on.

Some of these trainer changes have also been incorporated as standard features on the 12iS model, and it's worth noting that the features which define the iST configuration will be available to ELSA builders. Some of our most recent updates to the Kit Assembly Instructions (KIAs) reflect that.

panel12ist-s.jpg

I like this Garmin panel. Hope it becomes the standard Garmin panel layout.

Glad ya like it. I've flow it several times now and I like it a lot, too. The one in the photo is the IFR panel in our factory iST demo airplane, and is one of the standard options that a builder/buyer can choose. Essentially when buying an SLSA or building an ELSA one can choose Dynon or Garmin, one screen or two, and various other "which equipment do I want in my avionics setup" options from the menu of available configuration options. And of course licensing instead as EAB allows you to "step outside the box" should you choose to do so.

Does the One Week Wonder build crew get automatic job offers? :D All kidding aside, awesome news. Congrats on this continued growth!

Great news

I see this as an excellent move by Vans ...

The RV-12 is a runaway success in its class.

It’s very safe, capable, quiet, efficient, and easy to fly which makes it appealing to a big segment of pilots from young to more experienced.

Being able to rent a RV-12 at a flight school is a good way expand the reach of people who might not be inclined to build and/or have limited resources to purchase. It could also solidify the decision to build or buy a 12 or another one of Van’s planes.

It is a bold move that make sense strategically for the company; it’s addiditive and would make the fleet of Van’s planes larger while staying within their core competencies.

And after seeing the One Week Wonder build ... the folks at Vans have more than enough energy to be successful.

I strongly applaud the company effort, and even more the individuals, who through strong individual effort contributing to a team effort have earned the respect of pilots and the market.

Best, Thomas

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Great to see Vans expanding it's business within the product line envelope. A fiscally solid venture.

Being close to the "drawing board" provides lots of feedback from assembly operations for improvement (refinement) of design, components, and instruction manuals for the future. Smart.

Vertical

By vertically integrating the factory it could also help balance manpower between development and production. Really a smart move and helps keep the company in the game for the really long haul. And that is good for all of us builders.

The 12ist prototype is a stunning and almost flawless airplane. I say ?almost ? because there might be a slight flaw in it, but I sure didn?t see it. Van?s has a real good crew working on this.

Just to correct any misconceptions, the RV-12isT prototype was assembled and painted by Synergy Air in Eugene.

RV-12 build

How do you make a small fortune in aviation ?
You start with a large fortune !
Bob

Is Van?s going to push ASTM to making an IMC-capable standard?

I really have a tough time ethically training folks for instruments when the airplane is VMC only.

I really have a tough time ethically training folks for instruments when the airplane is VMC only.

Does anyone know for sure how Vans is handling this? The FAA Operating Limitations of an S-LSA don't prohibit IFR or IMC. ASTM F37, however, hasn't been on board lately. I know changes are in the works for increasing LSA weight, but haven't heard anything re IMC.

Will the RV-12isT be able to be used for the 250nm Cross Country requirement? Are flight schools supposed to wait for severe clear days to fly the cross country?

Economical light sport aircraft could be huge benefit for IFR training, much better than spending a large portion of the time in a simulator to keep costs down. I wish Vans, and other LSA manufacturers, good fortune in this endeavor.

Has the gross weight increased or other changes with going EAB?

Thanks,

Bob

EAB on the RV-12 is really the same as EAB on any other model. You decide, and the DAR/FAA agrees. Van's has not published any different gross weight changes, and won't be doing that. The design margin in that regard belongs to the engineers and the -12 already has a pretty great useful load in the LSA class compared to others.

With regard to operating in IMC and IFR, again hat's an op limits item and obviously can;t be done operating under sport pilot privileges.

With regard to operating in IMC and IFR, again hat's an op limits item and obviously can;t be done operating under sport pilot privileges.

That's correct re: sport pilot privileges, but Vans is marketing the RV-iST as an IFR trainer, private pilots will be flying, not sport pilots. http://www.flyrv12.com/the-rv-12ist-trainer/

I'm wondering if Vans plans that Instrument Rating students will fly their 250nm cross country in the RV-iST or if they will need to rent another plane for this part of the training. That doesn't make too much sense for a flight school that just bought new aircraft. I want Vans to succeed in the area of low-cost IFR trainers, I'm just asking what the plan is for ASTM F37, FAA operating limitation should be no issue.

Last edited:
Cross country

Don't remember flying a 250 mile cross country as a requirement for my Inst. but it would do just fine.
Bob

That's correct re: sport pilot privileges, but Vans is marketing the RV-iST as an IFR trainer, private pilots will be flying, not sport pilots. http://www.flyrv12.com/the-rv-12ist-trainer/

Correct.

I'm wondering if Vans plans that Instrument Rating students will fly their 250nm cross country in the RV-iST or if they will need to rent another plane for this part of the training. That doesn't make too much sense for a flight school that just bought new aircraft.

There's no reason a private pilot instrument student cannot fly the 250nm XC flight in the 12iST. As a private pilot, they're able to do that.

Not sure I understand any ethical issue here, but I do understand the questions/inquries about IFR-okay vs. IMC-not-okay in SLSA aircraft. When training people, I hope we see the aircraft as a tool - we are training people (and private pilots, not sport pilots) to safely fly IFR in *any* properly equipped airplane they are able to fly.

Does anyone know for sure how Vans is handling this? The FAA Operating Limitations of an S-LSA don't prohibit IFR or IMC. ASTM F37, however, hasn't been on board lately. I know changes are in the works for increasing LSA weight, but haven't heard anything re IMC.

Will the RV-12isT be able to be used for the 250nm Cross Country requirement? Are flight schools supposed to wait for severe clear days to fly the cross country?

Economical light sport aircraft could be huge benefit for IFR training, much better than spending a large portion of the time in a simulator to keep costs down. I wish Vans, and other LSA manufacturers, good fortune in this endeavor.

You can use the RV-12iST for the long cross country requirements, no reason not to (from either a rules or endurance perspective). And filing IFR and operating/training in the IFR system is fine, of course. Entering IMC is where the issue lies, if the aircraft is SLSA. While the FAA does not directly/specifically object to it, the LSA standard states no flight into IMC (there is no IFR exclusion). Conversations Van's employees have had with the FAA this year have clarified that these restrictions really do "live" in the LSA standard, and are not found within the FAA regs.

And yes, F37 certainly has discussed IMC operation in the past but the full committee has not come to consensus yet. I think we are all in acknowledgement that a change needs to happen, and the committee is working on it. Van's participates on the F37 committee and is advocating for a consensus in that area, to be sure. We don't yet know exactly when that could come to a conclusion.

Point is: in a world where we need capable, modern, inexpensive to operate and maintain training aircraft, the RV-12iST is there to deliver on the commercial training needs and to do it well. True, you cannot intentionally fly the SLSA airplane into IMC - but we've found that this is not what flight schools are looking for.

I know this is a topic for discussion at the October ASTM meeting. If and when the ASTM F37 committee (or some other related panel) acts, things may change. We shall see. Meanwhile, know that Van's is both watching and participating in the process.

Thank you so much. I need to determine if I can start the project in one of my rooms. Aparantely yes��

You bet! :) The tailcone itself is about 107 inches. So until you attach the stabilator and rudder it's even a bit shorter. Have a good time building it, it's a fun kit! And the fuselage section is even shorter. So you can build quite a bit in a smaller space before you start attaching the big pieces to each other.

Correct.

There's no reason a private pilot instrument student cannot fly the 250nm XC flight in the 12iST. As a private pilot, they're able to do that.

Not sure I understand any ethical issue here, but I do understand the questions/inquries about IFR-okay vs. IMC-not-okay in SLSA aircraft. When training people, I hope we see the aircraft as a tool - we are training people (and private pilots, not sport pilots) to safely fly IFR in *any* properly equipped airplane they are able to fly.

You can use the RV-12iST for the long cross country requirements, no reason not to (from either a rules or endurance perspective). And filing IFR and operating/training in the IFR system is fine, of course. Entering IMC is where the issue lies, if the aircraft is SLSA. While the FAA does not directly/specifically object to it, the LSA standard states no flight into IMC (there is no IFR exclusion). Conversations Van's employees have had with the FAA this year have clarified that these restrictions really do "live" in the LSA standard, and are not found within the FAA regs.

And yes, F37 certainly has discussed IMC operation in the past but the full committee has not come to consensus yet. I think we are all in acknowledgement that a change needs to happen, and the committee is working on it. Van's participates on the F37 committee and is advocating for a consensus in that area, to be sure. We don't yet know exactly when that could come to a conclusion.

Point is: in a world where we need capable, modern, inexpensive to operate and maintain training aircraft, the RV-12iST is there to deliver on the commercial training needs and to do it well. True, you cannot intentionally fly the SLSA airplane into IMC - but we've found that this is not what flight schools are looking for.

I know this is a topic for discussion at the October ASTM meeting. If and when the ASTM F37 committee (or some other related panel) acts, things may change. We shall see. Meanwhile, know that Van's is both watching and participating in the process.

I believe rotax deliberately does not allow use in imc for now, too...or has this changed?

I believe rotax deliberately does not allow use in imc for now, too...or has this changed?

I do believe you are correct. If the Manufacturer and standards permitted SLSA’s to fly IFR, I believe they would need the “Certified” version of ROTAX, that would up the price considerably. I would also think you would need certified Versions of, say the G3X and TSO radios, currently not required for SLSA. Of course I doubt any of the above apply if building EAB.

Back