What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL-82 installation

ALagonia

Well Known Member
I have an RV9 and just started contemplating the installation of a GDL-82 to comply with the 2020 mandate. What is the consensus on where to locate the Garmin antenna, the puck shaped antenna? Under the cowl? Behind the baggage area? Looking for comments from those that have successfully done this install.

Gdl82 with Garmin 327

To add to the above post, I have a simple panel with a stand-alone 327 transponder tied to an altitude encoder. With the Faa rebate once again available, I?m pondering installing the gdl82 myself. I?ve looked at the schematics and it appears doable, but the details of the installation are a bit concerning. Any reference to other RV installations would be appreciated.
Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven KLHV

Just posted on another thread asking about gps antennae installation. I installed my gps antennae on the glareshield. Works great there. As for installation, it is as easy as it gets. Wire power, ground, gps antennae coax with the appropriate coax length, splice into the transponder coax, add the anonymous switch if you wish and you are done. Mount it anywhere you find convenient.

Just posted on another thread asking about gps antennae installation. I installed my gps antennae on the glareshield. Works great there. As for installation, it is as easy as it gets. Wire power, ground, gps antennae coax with the appropriate coax length, splice into the transponder coax, add the anonymous switch if you wish and you are done. Mount it anywhere you find convenient.

Will I have to get through the spar with any cables to get to my transponder antenna? I am not the builder of my 9 and I was thinking of either locating the puck antenna that comes with the kit either aft if the baggage area and running the cable to the transponder in the upper rail or under the cowl. My concern is how do I get the cable to the transponder antenna? Any help in cable routing and lengths would be much appreciated. I'm going to have Stein build the cables for me.

Will I have to get through the spar with any cables to get to my transponder antenna? I am not the builder of my 9 and I was thinking of either locating the puck antenna that comes with the kit either aft if the baggage area and running the cable to the transponder in the upper rail or under the cowl. My concern is how do I get the cable to the transponder antenna? Any help in cable routing and lengths would be much appreciated. I'm going to have Stein build the cables for me.
Without knowing anything about your build I can only guess what you have but there has to be some wires going thru the spar. There may be room for coax there. However, it would also be easy to drill some holes thru the side bulkheads and insert snap bushings then run the coax there underneath the side sill. Again, not seeing your plane this is a wag on what would work best.

I have the GDL-82 and love it. The install is super simple and will not take very long. You'll need a laptop to program it but that's pretty easy as well. I mounted my GPS antenna under the cowling at first but had GPS shadowing errors on a few flights. I've since moved it to the top of my fuselage right behind the canopy and get perfect PAPR report when I request them.

It's an awesome unit and with the rebate again, well worth it. I got the rebate the first time around. :D

Shawn

Ken,
I looked at your pictures of install on RV-4. Looks like you installed the GDL 82 by your avionics and radio stack.
Did this present any interference problems with radios or Avionics? I presented this question to Garmin and they advised against it.
I?m installing a GDL 82 in an RV-8 and it would be a lot easier an installation if I could mount it close to radio stack and Dynon D180.
Thoughts Ken?
Thoughts from anybody??
Thank you
Richard

Ken,
I looked at your pictures of install on RV-4. Looks like you installed the GDL 82 by your avionics and radio stack.
Did this present any interference problems with radios or Avionics? I presented this question to Garmin and they advised against it.
I?m installing a GDL 82 in an RV-8 and it would be a lot easier an installation if I could mount it close to radio stack and Dynon D180.
Thoughts Ken?
Thoughts from anybody??
Thank you
Richard
I am not Ken but to address your question, proximity of the boxes to each other in a normal situation should not have interference issues. Proximity of antennas, on the other hand, a whole different discussion.

I mounted my GPS antenna under the cowling at first but had GPS shadowing errors on a few flights.

...proximity of the boxes to each other in a normal situation should not have interference issues. Proximity of antennas, on the other hand, a whole different discussion.

Ya'll please tell me about shadowing errors and antenna proximity.

Shadowing is a line of sight issue, i.e. antenna can't see enough satellites? Or are we talking about the effect of another antenna's radiation pattern?

The install manual asks that the GPS antenna be located not less than 9" from any another antenna (including XM), with 12" being the preferred minimum to another GPS antenna. Are the requirements significant, or in the category of "for best results"?

Dan, mine are not the newest but I have a remote Garmin 396 antenna, a remote ifly antenna and a XM antenna which feeds the 396 all mounted on the glareshield WITHIN 9 inches of each other maybe 3 inches of each other , and don"t seem to have any problems with any of them . Although none are transmitting antennas ie like a ADSB or xponder .

Back