What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV IAC Aerobatic Competition Standings - 2018... It's a wrap!

ronschreck

Well Known Member
Congratulations to Brian Pfam who scored a first place finish in the final IAC competition of the season. Brian is the sole RV pilot competing in the Primary category this year and expects to move up to the Sportsman level in 2019.

I just returned from the IAC Fall Board meeting where we reviewed the proposed KNOWN sequences for 2019. We returned the three lower category KNOWNs to the Known Sequence Committee for a re-write. We decided that there was no reason to change the PRIMARY sequence as it worked well in 2018. There may be some who think we should change the PRIMARY sequence every year but the Board feels that PRIMARY is just an introduction to competition and pilots should move up to SPORTSMAN after a year in PRIMARY. We sent the SPORTSMAN sequence back to the committee because there were a couple of figures which would have been difficult to fly by those without inverted systems. (FYI: The policy guidance to the Known Sequence Committee states that... "Proposed Primary and power Sportsman Known sequences shall be flyable by aircraft without inverted fuel or oil systems, in the class of 115 hp Citabrias")
We sent the INTERMEDIATE sequence back to the committee with instructions to omit snap rolls from the KNOWN sequence. (Once again, the policy guidance to the committee states that... "Proposed power Intermediate Known sequences shall be flyable by aircraft in the class of the 150 hp Decathlon.") Many Decathlon aircraft have sustained damage to fuel tanks as a result of doing snap rolls. However, there is still the likelihood of encountering snap rolls in INTERMEDIATE unknown sequences!

I think this is all good news for the RV aerobatic group. There are no barriers to RV competition at the SPORTSMAN level and those without inverted systems have an equal chance of emerging victorious. All it takes is practice, practice, practice! The 2019 competition season will be here before you know it. Get ready!

Congratulations Brian! Way to go! I hope to hear about your future success in Sportsman next year.

Congratulations to fellow Cincy Riverrat Dave Schmitz (Kicks) on his performance last June. Something else to talk about at the Super Bowl party this winter.

Congratulations Brian! Way to go! I hope to hear about your future success in Sportsman next year.

Thanks Jerry. It'll be fun. The other RV guys will also get to have more fun and recognition once you've moved up to Intermediate. You've been hording all the trophies and recognition this year! Doesn't winning all the time get boring for you? LOL. I'd love to chat with you some time for some advice on putting together a Free Sportsman sequence if you don't mind.

Just sad the season is over.

Between weather and tarmac closures 3 NE contests got canceled and I only made it to one ... .

Let's hope we have better weather next year.

Oliver

wishing better weather next year too

Had the same weather and home airport closure, and only made one contest too."At a boys" for the 11 RVers that competed at 17 contests this year. You know they had bigger RV grins than anyone else.:D Looking forward to get'em next year.

Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower Alabama

Thanks Jerry. It'll be fun. The other RV guys will also get to have more fun and recognition once you've moved up to Intermediate. You've been hording all the trophies and recognition this year! Doesn't winning all the time get boring for you? LOL. I'd love to chat with you some time for some advice on putting together a Free Sportsman sequence if you don't mind.

Winning, boring? No way! :) But, I am ready for new challenges. Yes, I would love to help you with your Free. And you definitely want to have one as you can tailor it to your own ability and the capabilities of your airplane. I think you still have my contact info. If not, I'll PM it to you.

Back