What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Assembly Sequence

jahnnieb

I have a general question for the sequence in assembling the wings.

When looking at the instructions, the "Overview" section on page 7-1 states that the leading edge and tank assemblies are fitted to the main spar PRIOR to installing the main ribs (skeleton).

- or -

Page 7-3 of the instructions has the assembly of the main ribs (skeleton) AND fitting the wing skins PRIOR to the leading edge assembly on page 7-4. (Most builder pages that I have found online have used this sequence.)

I called Van's Builder Support and the person I spoke with could not come up with a reason to do either one before the other.

QUESTIONS: Is there and advantage by doing one way over the other? Is there a good reason to rivet the main ribs to the main and rear spars prior to doing the leading edge and tank work?

I had the spars and ribs finished and riveted together first. The wing frame was mounted to the stands before I started the tanks or leading edge. That worked well for me.

Not sure if it is an advantage but I liked having the main spars locked in position on the stands while working on the tanks. They were on and off alot!

I had the spars and ribs finished and riveted together first. The wing frame was mounted to the stands before I started the tanks or leading edge. That worked well for me.

Not sure if it is an advantage but I liked having the main spars locked in position on the stands while working on the tanks. They were on and off alot!

Same here, I built the skeleton first and mounted in wing stands. Then starting work on fuel tanks and leading edges. Finished the fuel tanks and leading edges then mounted them on the wing. Finally installed top skins. Then I installed aileron and flap fairings braces and hinges, after pulling the wing out of the stands. The bottom skins are left off at this point as I have things inside I want to do.

Back