What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bendix 1200 Basic question

Drippy

Well Known Member
Guys,
I have a question about my Bendix Mags. I have two Bendix mags that I picked up along the way. I don't know anything about their history so plan to have rebuild done but was hoping someone could tell me what I have. My one phone call to a Mag company got a very nice but poorly informed sales engineer who wasn't very confident in his answers.

The plate on each mag says one is a Bendix S6LN-1209 the other is a S6LN-1208.

I have a D4A5 and was planning to only run one non-impulse along with electronic ignition on the other side.

Second question any recommendations on who you would suggest to rebuild a Bendix Mag?

Thanks
Drippy
RV10 "getting close"

The 1200 series Bendix mags deliver the strongest spark of any of the mags out there and were developed for high altitude use. Using these mags in the RV-10 is possible but it is a very tight fit. The difference in the 2 part numbers that you have is one of them is a non-retard unit and the other has a retard breaker used when in the starting mode. This one will have 2 contacts and should be used with a shower of sparks starting vibrator or a slick start module.

With my current configuration I have the retard breaker unit on the left firing the top plugs and a CPI ignition on the right firing the bottoms. I purchased the instructions from G3I and modified the bendix magneto harness to use the same auto plugs that the CPI uses. I now have 26 hours flight time on my set up and it's working great!

S-1200 Bendix

I forgot to mention that I wired my mag to use the retard breaker for starting along with the CPI but I have not installed a starting booster. I have started it on the mag alone but it's not as easy as when the CPI is on, of course. Starting on this mag alone really needs a slick start or starting vibrator to be used with any dependability. PM me if you would like to see pictures or learn more about how I wired mine.

Back