What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Scales

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I have been thinking about getting a set of scales to weigh my plane, but the price and capability varies so much. Has anyone done the research and has some facts to share?

I weighed mine twice. The first time I rented a set from someone for $50. Weighed again after paint with a borrowed set. For me it wasn't worth buying ...

Know anyone that has a circle track racecar? dirt or pavement,they probably have a set of electronic scales.Has 4 pads,but just use 3.

I weighed mine on a Taylor 7519 bathroom scale, just one. I made a wooden ramp for each wheel, then rolled the plane back and forth to weigh each wheel one at a time. Spacers under the edge of the scale will keep it from tipping as the wheel rolls onto it. If the scale can weigh an overweight human, it can weigh a 350 pound aircraft wheel. I have three of 50 pound scale-calibrating weights that I bought at a flea market. So I know the scale is accurate. I also have an antique farmer's grain scale to compare the digital scale to. Weigh each wheel twice to make sure the scale repeats the previous weight.

If you need to purchase a scale you might want to give the folks at AmCells a call. We source load cells and readouts from them and their service is always great and their prices are pretty competitive event though they are located in the US. I had spoken to them a few months ago about coming up with a three channel system for aircraft but I am sure that their race car system would work as well.

http://amcells.com

http://amcells.com/sp/ProductPages1/RCS/RCS.html

No connection, just a satisfied customer,

larosta

Interesting Joe, I have been using the exact same scale for some years now. I was always amazed that I could weigh at home on it, then go to the doctors office (which I do a lot) and get the same exact reading on their expensive scales. I just ordered three of them to make my life easier.

I weighed mine on a Taylor 7519 bathroom scale, just one. I made a wooden ramp for each wheel, then rolled the plane back and forth to weigh each wheel one at a time. Spacers under the edge of the scale will keep it from tipping as the wheel rolls onto it. If the scale can weigh an overweight human, it can weigh a 350 pound aircraft wheel. I have three of 50 pound scale-calibrating weights that I bought at a flea market. So I know the scale is accurate. I also have an antique farmer's grain scale to compare the digital scale to. Weigh each wheel twice to make sure the scale repeats the previous weight.

I bought three bathroom scales and weighed the aircraft three times rotating the scales each time. Then I averaged the weights. Shazam! Haven't fallin' out of the sky yet in 4 1/2 years!

I bought these for $50 each...

Just cut and paste the blurb below into your favorite search engine.

660lbs LCD AC Digital Floor Bench Scale Postal Platform Shipping/Pet 300KG Weigh

I had not found them earlier, had I not bought the Taylor ones, I would have chose these! Might get a set anyhow!

660lbs LCD AC Digital Floor Bench Scale Postal Platform Shipping/Pet 300KG Weigh

Unable

Can't seem to locate anything in the search for under $101.99

Can you be more specific as to source?

Who knows if one type of digital scale is any more accurate than another. Most likely a bathroom scale is just as accurate as a postal scale. The only difference is that one has a built-in display and one has a remote display. Just because the readout has a tenth of a pound of resolution does not mean that it is accurate. It could be a pound off. The only scales that I trust are a balance (beam with counterweight) or a calibrated digital scale.

Caution with the digital bathroom scales though.

I noticed that our scale was too consistent, and after a few checks determined it has some sort of built-in memory to give the same reading if you step on and off the scale.

Do your own test - weight yourself, step off and step back on holding something that weighs one or two pounds.

On our scales you will get the same reading in both load cases. :rolleyes:

Still of the belief you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to accurately weigh a few hundred pounds, I just added three of these to the mix. I figure I will put them side by side, pull the aircraft up on the first three, then on forward to the second set of three. Unlikely both would be in the same error, and can switch around of suspected.

3 of Smart Weigh Shipping and Postal Scale, Heavy Duty, Stainless Steel, 10.6" X 10.6" Platform, 440 lbs Capacity, UPS USPS Postal Scale with Extendable Co
Sold by: EasyOrder Product question? Ask Seller
$34.99

Still of the belief you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to accurately weigh a few hundred pounds, I just added three of these to the mix. I figure I will put them side by side, pull the aircraft up on the first three, then on forward to the second set of three. Unlikely both would be in the same error, and can switch around of suspected.

3 of Smart Weigh Shipping and Postal Scale, Heavy Duty, Stainless Steel, 10.6" X 10.6" Platform, 440 lbs Capacity, UPS USPS Postal Scale with Extendable Co
Sold by: EasyOrder Product question? Ask Seller
$34.99

With three of them side by side you can do a quick accuracy test by standing on each one.

Let us know how consistent the three reading are.

Err... your link take me to my Amazon orders, not yours...:)

OK, lets skin this cat another way:
29ntsfq.png
[/IMG]

Great.

Now let's find those deals on some that will weigh a -10. At north of 1500# empty, I don't think 440# scales under a main wheel is gonna cut it. Cannot locate the 50-dollar 660#-capable scales we were told about this morning.

animal scales?

pretty sure my vet, who I've given thousands of dollars over the years, has a remote reading big platform digital whiz-bang scale that weighs big and very little quadrupeds.

....not in use on weekends much! :rolleyes: hmmmmmmmmmm

Now let's find those deals on some that will weigh a -10. At north of 1500# empty, I don't think 440# scales under a main wheel is gonna cut it. Cannot locate the 50-dollar 660#-capable scales we were told about this morning.

Pretty close here, looks like it should do the job:
105w868.png
[/IMG]

Got seven scales to compare now, amazing they all show the same weight when I jump on them! Accuracy I don't think is an issue with any of them. This model comes out to be my favorite, very thin and light, very accurate, and it stays on so you can go around to all three wheels to see the results (if you are usually alone at the hangar as I am). I think it can be had for $31 someplace, but it really is a winner to me. It don't have the problem of wanting to tip over when pulling up on it, the base goes out to the sides really nice. Thanks guys for the help, I am now a happy camper with a bunch of scales! If anyone is interested, I think I will resell the Taylor ones, don't really need 6 since they are so darned accurate.

OK, lets skin this cat another way:
29ntsfq.png
[/IMG]

three scales or one

I am curious to know if when weighing the plane by moving one set of scales to each wheel and using a packer under the other wheels if there will be any error if the packer is not the exact height of the scales with the plane on them also how much difference does it make by not having the front wheel lifted by the packer called for in the PAP

I am curious to know if when weighing the plane by moving one set of scales to each wheel and using a packer under the other wheels if there will be any error if the packer is not the exact height of the scales with the plane on them also how much difference does it make by not having the front wheel lifted by the packer called for in the PAP

Weight will naturally shift to a "lower" wheel. If the non-weighing wheel is lower, it will reduce the weight of the weighing wheels. To get an accurate weighing, the aircraft must be level.

I could not seem to get comfortable with using only one scale, since the amount a scale compresses is so hard to determine and could result in differences. The price is so small, why not use three on a level floor and level the aircraft?

Back