What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring the control column

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
Any advice on passing the wire through the control stick. I have tried several gauges of safety wire both twisted and straight to pull through the switch wire. any other tricks would be appreciated:mad:

Control stick

I remember having a hard time getting the wire through the stick. I think it took me about 5 attempts to finally get it all the way through. You might try some lubricant, the same as what electrician's use for pulling wire in conduit. I used .035 " safety wire for the fish, the hard part was the actual wire. It's "stickier" than safety wire. Seem to remember something about the plans suggesting ingesting an adult beverage of your choice and trying again later. Maybe that was in a different section of the plans, but it applies here as well. You can do it!

Take some good fishing line 14# test or so and tie a washer to the end and suck it through with a shop vac.

31B-12 Step 3

After much experimentation, I resorted to using a vacuum to suck up a piece of yarn fed in from the bottom of the control stick to the top of the control stick. Amazingly this works well. I then use the yarn to pull the push to talk wires down the control stick.

Note: Consider drilling and grinding the control stick bearing and the control stick per plans 32-05 Step 2-5 BEFORE you pull the wire through the control stick.

Take some good fishing line 14# test or so and tie a washer to the end and suck it through with a shop vac.

Ditto on this. I remember posting the exact same question as you and this was the advice I received. Worked great.

Ideally, Van's should add a sentence or two in the KAI on how to do this with yarn/fishing line and a cotton ball with a vacuum. Would have saved me several hours of cursing ...before learning of this simple trick. B

Any advice on passing the wire through the control stick. I have tried several gauges of safety wire both twisted and straight to pull through the switch wire. any other tricks would be appreciated:mad:

Drill a hole @ the 90 degree bend (above the bolt pass through) then silicon the wiring bundle at the hole so it won't be chafed. Worked great!

I tried with the wire for a long time. Then used kite string with a piece of yarn and the shop vac. . . . . Worked in about a second!

Oh, and I used a long piece of the 3/4" black plastic corrugated wire conduit (the kind used behind the seats) and duct taped it on the end of the shop vac hose. It makes a great very flexable little vacuum to reach back into the ribs and through lightening holes to pick up dust, lost rivets, screws and bolts. If I know there is a small lost part hidden in an inaccessible spot I put a light cloth across the intake of the shop vac then start vacuuming searching for it. I can then check the cloth and see that I did in fact get it. .... wear ear plugs because it does whistle.

Thanks for everyone's input. I actually used relatively large string trimmer line, stiff enough to push past the bend, but supple enough to make the turns. Now I just need to figure out what stick cover to use.

Thanks again

Back