What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Guidance needed

Handclutch

Well Known Member
I need to get some stuff from Spruce and thought I would use the opportunity to put some spares on the shelf. Consolidating a number of items into a single order helps reduce shipping costs to Australia which can it get out of hand when buying items individually. Can anybody confirm that the pitch trim servo is the 0.7 inch travel version (aircraft bought flying, so no direct experience)? Based on part numbers I think it should be, but can't be sure. Also, I'm about to tee into the pitot/static system to connect a Garmin G5. The tubing in mine uses white nylon fittings but I am not sure if they were part of the kit or purchased separately. I would like to match them if possible. Spruce lists lists a couple of brands that fit the description. If they were part of the kit can anybody advise which type I should be chasing?

Thanks in anticipation.

Jack

Jack,

Are you having problems with the Trim servo?

Looking at the servo details in the plans the Vans servo number is ES - MSTS-T3-7A-2. looking at the servos listed on the Aircraft spruce site they only list the T2-7A version. (It looks like the 7A is .7" travel, i haven't actually measured to check) The aircraft spruce description of the T2 & T3 is following;

"Ray Allen servos operate on 12-14 volts DC. When activated they push or pull with tremendous force. Since this thrust is generated by means of a jackshaft (T2 series) or a jackscrew (T3 series), the output shaft will lock in any position when the electrical power is off."

I haven't found any further detail of the duty loading or durability of the 2 operating types. Vans wouldn't have chosen the T3 type without good reason. I have found their service excellent and prices pretty much as good as anywhere to Australia.

Back