What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where's your RV-12 project, in progress/completed

Aeromac

I'm New Here
Share your experiences. I live in Yorkville Illinois and would love to talk to you and or see your RV-12 progress or completion.

Mac -

I have shared my experience via the DOGAviation.com Blog which, in addition to being a location for sharing photos for friends to see, also doubles as a builder's log where each day's building activities are documented. There are direct links to each of the RV-12's kits like wings, finishing, engine, etc. and also a search feature where key words or a part number such as F-1201 can be searched.

One down side of the blog is I did not perform work in the order as the steps in the plans, so it does not follow the typical building sequence. This was mostly weather related ... in that, some tasks just should not be performed in bitter cold weather. I did quite a lot of bouncing around and working ahead to prepare parts for primer and paint to work around the cold months here in NE Ohio.

Lots of other RV-12 builders have WEB sites as well, some with a plethora of great information. A Google search will find them.

My project is in the last phases of assembly ... first engine start should be within a couple of weeks.

Building the RV-12 has been a rewarding experience thus far and can be done, for the most part, alone. Although, there are a few tasks where an extra set of hands will be necessary and for some tasks, very welcomed. The fit of the parts from Van's has, for the most part, been spot on. If parts are not fitting together correctly, the builder is, in all likelihood, doing something incorrect.

Happy building,

After over 5 years at it, mine is about to be transferred to the airport at last! You can read and look it all over by clicking on my KitLog link below;

Y17zmNlbjM1aJvM4c3SXccE0bLNgRg4baRfzecZ8i8F0RqMF6dze1EAJ_nPgnqJHtYA6zXCDunGTOYWST0Jp7ekkp8u7K5w-0naE8nAU1q6WQg_E9jOtsmANdWciN2c_ZGoncWNQevd-kQpOBW9667vki1fKLLO-cqZSNec4_bOtgktBnoA5bGeowlbJYekO0DNeZEl7x1wqQB7mSegjylUBN0s5mK_1lqFYFPDtVpZQxyDc8FN06lq1MNaDJEIRA11-BHBtOAJgH0iK74kob16qhnFPTnVgU8azdesnMlzL_pMf2QJeb0M4eDb6B6KH-cdMGHl0O6nnZCfnXeMRJ06IY-IFtcHbjvEUlsOoTODB5NmgnZzjay9WH4N86855xK2RZN_qy2qybcgLNQ3JO60F7ivm370oanoeb3a8Xz5Rnv8n0rXPp8K_muBMRZ3WGK5HdKrLd0igdVuRaXdu_x3E8ic4-SE1UpgZQ9DoO7TDjzawcfcImdnfCPgGFsUOd7H07dE4R5VPGAg7Z9Pgsvch4WwO06s5HY0ypAbYfPaBRYW8qqH64IUqJmtlV2DPDDDYXPj6ef0khpOeAsnZdlRDP8kBCP4fYswq_365AsBTGHKED68vER2qow7-ZIDyKXpI9Lk5-fF3nSQaBOTnCUNqMgTShkne-nKy0Lw=w800-no

Last edited:
I received my empennage kit at the end of March. I didn't get started building until the end of April. I've finished the vertical stabilizer, rudder, anti servo tabs. I'm currently working on the horizontal stabilizer. I've got about 45 hours in my project. It would be a lot faster had I decided not to prime. So far, I've had lots of fun!

Back