What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron and Flap Stiffeners - Pro-Seal?

David Paule

Well Known Member
I used tank sealant to glue the stiffeners to the elevators and rudder (yes, I riveted them, too) because they are in the slipstream. I plan to do that for the flaps as well.

Should I also do it for the ailerons? They aren't in the slipstream. But they .016 thick.

Thanks,
Dave

No.....

It is not necessary and just adds unnecessary weight to control surfaces.

I don't advise doing it on the elevators and rudder either, especially on the -3 where the surfaces are not balanced.

All of the control surfaces on my -6 are .016". No proseal or other additions and no cracks after over 22 years of flying.

Last edited:
Hi Dave

The cracking in the surfaces, IIRC, was in the last rivet of stiffeners? Various remedies have been offered:
  1. Correctly bend the TE
  2. Add a dab of pro-seal / RTV between end of each stiffener and TE
  3. Use Pro-Seal / RTV along whole stiffener
Personally I suspect item 1 was the root cause of the cracking (not bent adequately so bend was being made by the stiffener end), albeit we did item 2 as well on the 3 & 8. Used minimal RTV rather than Pro-Seal due lighter / easier to apply in moderation. As Mel says, adding any weight to RV-3 empennage TE not great idea due lack of balance.

Back