What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Failed Turn & Bank

rv468

I?m trying to decide on a new instrument to replace a failed 3 1/8? Turn and Bank in my RV4. It is an old unit, I don?t know yet if it can be overhauled. I haven?t had real good luck with overhauled gyros in the past anyway.
I?m looking at a couple new instruments. Falcon sells a turn coordinator that is designed for an instrument panel that is tilted 8 degrees. The RV4 is tilted around 7 degrees. I am also considering a TruTrak Pictorial Turn and Bank. It is advertised as solid state, not a spinning gyro.
Do any of you have experience with the TruTrak in an RV4 with the tilted panel? Does it work well? What about longevity? Does anyone have a gyro overhaul shop to recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron Smith
RV4 #68 Flying - finally

I?m trying to decide on a new instrument to replace a failed 3 1/8? Turn and Bank in my RV4. It is an old unit, I don?t know yet if it can be overhauled. I haven?t had real good luck with overhauled gyros in the past anyway.
I?m looking at a couple new instruments. Falcon sells a turn coordinator that is designed for an instrument panel that is tilted 8 degrees. The RV4 is tilted around 7 degrees. I am also considering a TruTrak Pictorial Turn and Bank. It is advertised as solid state, not a spinning gyro.
Do any of you have experience with the TruTrak in an RV4 with the tilted panel? Does it work well? What about longevity? Does anyone have a gyro overhaul shop to recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron Smith
RV4 #68 Flying - finally
The -4 we bought came with an old disconnected electric turn & bank. When fired up it leaned badly so we send it to a shop. The cost to overhaul was the factor that caused us to buy a new 2.25 TruTrak Pictorial Turn & Bank. After approx 25 hours, we couldn?t be happier.

Also we plan on installing a single axis AP and I understand they have a generous trade in policy when you want to upgrade. The ability to do acro without damaging it is another plus.

Tru-Track Rocks!

I too installed a TruTrak ADI in my Rocket and a Tru Trak T&B in my RV4 after tumbling 3 different electric T&B's and ADI. The Tru Track products have no installation issues and aerobatics haven't phased them. The trade up policy is as Tom shows above, and they return at full price, even after a years use.

Highly recommended.

Smokey
HR2

http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com/instruments_ADI.htm

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks guys, I'm going with the TruTrak. I hope to upgrade to an autopilot someday, the trade in sounds good.

Cameron Smith - still in Phase 1

Back