What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N4684C - first flight

rv468

On August 23, 2008, N4684C made its’ maiden flight! I finally got some “pay back” for the last 7 ½ years of work I’ve spent building this RV4. I had perfect weather to work with for test flying from the Moriarty, New Mexico (0E0) airport. All the prep work evidently paid off. I didn’t have any problems. My only ground support personnel was my son, a paramedic. Am I lucky or what.
I made an early morning departure. This airplane requires substantial right rudder on take off. I circled the field three times staying close while monitoring temperatures and pressures. Every thing was fine so I proceeded with my plan. I left the pattern and went to an area that I had scouted as a good emergency landing site. I made several turns, then some slow flight. Then came stalls, with and without flaps. I noted the airspeed, to be used in calculating my approach speed. After that I set up a glide to simulate my approach. Climb back to altitude and do it again. Then it was time to return to the field for my first landing. I was in a mindset to go around for even the smallest reason. It ended up not being necessary, the landing went fine. It rolled out straight.
Some statistics: N4684C is serial number 68 (sixty eight – it’s not a misprint). O360 RSP, Sterba 70 X 80, day/night VFR, steam, no vacuum, 951 lbs. It’s way too early for performance statistics. I know that the control harmony is a delight. It also climbs like a rocket. It’s harder to slow down than the airplanes I’m used to. The FUN meter was definitely pegged.
I’ll try to get an image to post.

Cameron Smith
RV4 serial #68 (flying-finally)

rv4684cnx3.jpg

Last edited:
That's AWESOME!!!

Cameron,

Congratulations!!! Your plane looks GREAT!!!

This past weekend both Michelle and I were wondering how you were doing. Apparently pretty well!! :D

We're both looking forward to seeing you at some fly-in in the future.

Have fun!

Congratulations!

Hi Cameron,
Your plane is beautiful inside and out. Great job getting it in the air - all of your (everlasting) persistance is now paying off!
-Mel

Congratulations Cameron, great success!

Worth all of the 7.5 years, that is what it took me on my first 4. I do now have the tail and wings to kit #68A, do you know the story? This kit came from Albuquerque, If you could tell me the whole story I would like to know just how this came about. I don?t think I will be at LOE, something about a 25th wedding anniversary on the 10th of October, kind of sketchy on the details, but would love to see your new baby.

Randy

Thanks everone

Everyone - thanks for the kind words. Steve and Mel, I thought you guys dropped off the edge of the earth. Check your PMs.

Randy, this is what I know. I bought my kit partially completed from a man in Los Lunas (just south of Albuquerque). I know that he and another local fellow both bought their kits at the same time (early 1980s). After I purchased mine I contacted Van's to notify them of the change of ownership. They told me that there was another kit that was sold at the same time. They also said in the early years their method of assigning serial numbers was not as refined as it is today. That's how I ended up with #68 and the other ended as #68A.

Cameron Smith

Back