What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vetterman vent

rv468

I?m going to install one of the small Vetterman vents in my canopy skirt for the rear passenger. I will mount it on the right side (looking forward). A question to those who have one of these vents ? did you mount yours with the knob pointed straight back? Or did you rotate it?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron Smith
RV4 #68 getting close - still

Whoa! Wrong side.

I emailed Larry Vetterman and this is what he said.

"OK, Charlie, the rear vent goes on the LH side on the canopy, If you mount it on the fuselage it is too low for good air flow on the upper body. Set in the aircraft rear seat and measure 10 inches ahead of the center of your shoulder and low enough as to not interfere with the canopy rod and you should be in the ball park. Larry"

I asked about the right side and this was his response.

"do not place it on the right side as you will not get any air due to the airflow around the aircraft. I tried it on my Rocket and air was being pulled out rather than in. Larry"

cguarino,
Thanks for that reply. I seem to remember a reading post in the past that stated the exact opposite (right side). I think I will wait to cut the hole until I talk to someone with a flying RV4 (not a Rocket) that has one installed.

Thanks,
Cameron Smith

Let me know

Let me know what you find out. I haven't installed mine either and I don't want it on the wrong side. However, the info I sent you was from Larry Vetterman. The inventor of the vent. On the other hand, I flew a Glasair the other day and the left side NACA vent sucked air out. Ok, now I'm confused.

Venting a bit...

Cameron, I mounted both of mine on the left side 4" below the canopy rail, one for each seat, knob pointed aft.

Work great!

Rob Ray

vetterman vent

I mounted two vents, one for each seat, on the right side of the canopy and they both work fine. My wife has been in the back seat and says she gets plenty of air. When I mounted the first vent (in the front) I positioned the handle down and knew it was wrong as soon as I took off. I moved the handle to the rear and it is perfect. I had to use a trim ring on the outside to cover the extra holes and I don't know if that changes (improves?) the airflow. I actually liked the look of the trim ring and put one on the rear vent. I plan to mount a second vent on the left for the rear seat for those 100 degree days.

Airflow on the ground or in the air?

I guess I can see why a rising prop "breeze" on the left side would create more airflow on the ground, but why would there be a different airflow between left and right sides in flight?

Back