What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Maintenance Can I do

fbrewer

Well Known Member
I'm getting conflicting information.

I've purchased an RV6 and did not build the airplane.

I've been told that I can modify the airplane panel, do maintenance on the engine, general maintenance on the airframe.

I've been told, the only need for an A&P is when the annual condition inspection is done.

Am I being led astray?

What is the controlling FAR?

The EAA's official position:

I am going to buy a used homebuilt, what work can I perform myself?
FAR Part 43 specifically states that the rules of that part do not apply to experimental, amateur-built aircraft. Therefore, any work (not just maintenance) on an experimental aircraft can be performed virtually by anyone regardless of credentials. (This does not apply to the condition inspection). Let common sense be your guide as to what maintenance you conduct yourself.

--Bob K.

I've been told that I can modify the airplane panel, do maintenance on the engine, general maintenance on the airframe.

I've been told, the only need for an A&P is when the annual condition inspection is done.

To the best of my knowledge these statements are correct.

Your having to ask leads me to wonder how new you are to the EXP. world.

Bigger question would be your level of skill/knowledge to do the work on your own.

Just because you can doesnt mean you should.......

You can do everything except the condition inspection, that requires an A&P for your case. Approach this cautiously - just because you can, doesn't mean you should - until you have a knowledge level adequate for the task.

I'm getting conflicting information.
I've purchased an RV6 and did not build the airplane.
Am I being led astray?
What is the controlling FAR?

What people have said is true. As far as "controlling FAR", Part 43 lists who can perform maintenance. Since Part 43 does not apply to Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft anyone can do maintenance and/or modifications.
Your operating limitations spell out that the condition inspection must be done IAW Part 43, Appendix D. So Part 43 DOES apply toward that.

Members,

Thank you for the verification.

I am indeed new to the experimental world, but not new to mechanical and engine work.

Additionally, I have a ton of EAA experts right here in GTU that have already assisted me in several endeavors.

Wheel pant mod for tire pressure insert.
Assisted in removing bad mag and subsuquent replacement and timing.

VAF never lets me down.

best guidance for any maintenance

Following applies to A&P; similar language applies to Light Sport AMT's [emphasis added]. If that standard is a minimum for full- time professionals, it should also be for E-AB.

14 C.F.R.? 65.81 General privileges and limitations.

(a) A certificated mechanic may perform or supervise the maintenance, preventive maintenance or alteration of an aircraft or appliance, or a part thereof, for which he is rated (but excluding major repairs to, and major alterations of, propellers, and any repair to, or alteration of, instruments), and may perform additional duties in accordance with ?? 65.85, 65.87, and 65.95. However, he may not supervise the maintenance, preventive maintenance, or alteration of, or approve and return to service, any aircraft or appliance, or part thereof, for which he is rated unless he has satisfactorily performed the work concerned at an earlier date. If he has not so performed that work at an earlier date, he may show his ability to do it by performing it to the satisfaction of the Administrator or under the direct supervision of a certificated and appropriately rated mechanic, or a certificated repairman, who has had previous experience in the specific operation concerned.

(b) A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless he understands the current instructions of the manufacturer, and the maintenance manuals, for the specific operation concerned.

Sorry for dredging up an old thread but this seemed like a good place to ask my question.

If I am reading everything correct I could (if I have the knowledge
) for instance replace the entire avionics panel and sign the aircraft back into service but I would need an A&P to do the annual condition inspection.

On a side note what kind of change would require the plane to go back to phase I?

Sorry for dredging up an old thread but this seemed like a good place to ask my question.

) for instance replace the entire avionics panel and sign the aircraft back into service but I would need an A&P to do the annual condition inspection.

On a side note what kind of change would require the plane to go back to phase I?

8130-2 has the following language:
After incorporating a major change as described in ? 21.93

Which directs us to 21.93
A ?minor change? is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are ?major changes?.
Link Here

See echozulu's response above.

Last edited:
Phase I is required for any change that might alter the flight characteristics of the aircraft. i.e. If the W&B is changed significantly; if you add or change an autopilot, thereby interfacing with the control system; ETC.

The panel change I am considering would definitely change the autopilot. How long would this additional phase I last?

The panel change I am considering would definitely change the autopilot. How long would this additional phase I last?

Typically the length of time for Phase I testing after a modification is left up to the person doing the mod with a minimum of 5 hours. This should be listed in the operating limitations for your aircraft.
The op limits issued to your aircraft is the controlling document. Be careful, older RVs may require a new inspection after a mod. Somewhere around the year 2000, operating limitations were updated to allow the owner to place the aircraft back into Phase I. Earlier op lims do not. If your op lims do not allow this, you will need to have them amended to the latest version. This can be done by a DAR or your local FSDO.

Last edited:
There have been at least three versions of oplims that I've seen. The really old ones that require re-issue after major mods, then ones where the operator could return to phase one on his own, and then, after 911, they changed again, requiring us to notify the FSDO and get approval for the desired test area when returning to phase one.

I haven't had a new one issued in the last decade or so, so I don't know if they've changed yet again in that time. But the point is, that there could be at least three different versions of oplims, with three different requirements, depending on when they were issued.

Charlie

Back